Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G4-450 AGP and I would love to have more speed for Photoshop and FinalCut. It has a Superdrive and 80G+120G Ultra-ATA drives, Radeon 7000, and 768M ram, and I want to make the most of my investment.

I'm considering an accelerator card, the Gigadesigns DUAL 1.25GHz G4. It seems that this would be considerably cheaper than trading in for a new Dual 1.4 G4 ($2219 +$ for more ram + tax ).

Any advice would be appreciated. What are the pros and cons? Is this one a good choice? Are there any Canadian dealers who carry it?

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=234&Title=1&Template=1
Features
- Powered by DUAL Motorola 7455B 1.25GHz G4 Processors with AltiVec Technology
- Tested for operation at 1.4GHz
- User Selectable CPU Clock Speed
- 3 Year Warranty
- Flexible Design is Compatible with many Power Mac G4 Models
- Price $767 US

Many thanks
Stan

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'd go with buying it from macsales, their service is good i hear and if any of the canadian retailers got it, you can bet there's a big markup. processor upgrades have been good to the cube world, cant see how this one wont make you happy. go for it

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
It's still going to cost you well over $1000 after GST and paying for a customs agent. Get a quote from some local guys, like Macdoc (Macliquidaters has reasonable prices ... they will quote on anything even if it is not listed on their site)
Look very hard at the increased bus speed, ram speed plus, plus, plus of the new G4. Yes its a little more money, but you get a new machine with Panther and a 1 yr. warrantee. That's got to be worth somthing

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Oops

[ December 18, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Bolor ]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought and installed a Sonnet upgrade several months ago and have had no problems with it at all.

Before you buy the brand you're looking at, you should check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
and see what other users of that upgrade have to say about it. They have a searchable database of user comments that has saved many people a lot of time and money.

I check with their reports before I buy any upgrades. Well worth the time.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
sorry about the double post
A_R makes a good point about checking XLR8yourmac. It is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i just spent 24 hours trying to get my processor upgrade card to work but failed.
unfortunately from this experience, i will suggest against, will start to save for G5 now.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I bought the same brand (800 MHz) at:

http://www.themacliquidators.com

A Canadian firm - the upgrade was drop-shipped from the US factory, and was at my door in less than 48 hours. No brokerage fee - just the usual follow-up bill for GST. Installation was dead simple, and performance has been flawless. I have no complaints.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Going past 8:1 bus to clock ratio gets diminishing returns in our experience.
Video card and drive also make huge differences in performance
That dual 1.4 price is a US price and is ludicrous.

The two excellent values in G4s are the single 1.25 and the dual 1.25 IF you can find the latter.
When you consider ALL the features you get including Panther, Radeon 9000, double the buses a trade works out pretty well all around.
:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts