ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to run Snow Leopard on any mid-2012 model?

I'll assume that whatever i'm buying this week will have L or ML on it already.

I'm willing to see if my software (Logic, Native Instruments, Quantum Leap) works in the newer OS'es (many have posted about their troubles with plugins) - but worst case, can these newer machines be retrograded?

If this has already been answered somewhere, my apologies.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
not that im aware of. best bet for you might be to buy a refurb 2011 model as those can all be downgraded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Doubt it. Apple's policy since MBA release has been to set the included OS as the baseline OS for the system.

Have you considered virtualization? Gives you best of both worlds really. VMware Fusion (~50 dollars) lets you run Leopard or SL inside Lion or ML. You need a more recent release of Fusion though.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Which MBP do you have now? You could just get a 2010 model, and the 2011 models can be downgraded to SL I believe.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as it happens, the software I need to run, runs! that is, if i believe random users on random forums. I'm going to take a chance with it; i still have my big machine incase everything goes bananas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dona: i have a 2007 2.16 with 4gigs of ram. it's decent, but the allure of the new base 13", with an SSD (owc dvd tray replacement) and 16gb of memory (owc) is just too good to pass up on. Prices have reached a point where i'm happy to upgrade.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Yea, I love the 2012 models, and Mountain Lion is an awesome operating system if it works for you.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Yea, I love the 2012 models, and Mountain Lion is an awesome operating system if it works for you.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you like the 2012 models much more over the mid-2011 models? Apart from USB3, the differences seem pretty minimal to me. I just ordered a low-end 15" MBP for my wife, and chose a refurb mid-2011 for 1359$ rather than the new model for 1799$ (I'm in the US for the month, so prices are a bit different here). USB3 wasn't worth that much money to me (the seagate thunderbolt GoFlex adapter is 100$, and faster than USB3 anyways), and the processing power increase isn't incredibly significant. Mountain Lion and Airplay Mirroring are supported, so it does pretty much everything I want it to.

I may upgrade the HDD to an SSD when it arrives and the machine will by good for years to come.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Mostly the graphics card. The HD3000 is very slightly less powerful than my NVidia 320M, while the HD4000 is about 40% faster. The HD3000 is not bad for gaming, I played COD4 on my wife's 2011 MacBook Air just fine, but the HD4000 would allow one to play newer games or bump up the details in older games.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
after checking a bunch of the specs, stats and vs articles out there, i'm probably going for the 15" - not because of the size or screen rez, but because of the extra cores. Heck, in some tests its faster than my mac pro tower LOL.

with that said -
i have:
2x 20.1" DVI displays
1x 1080p DVI, HDMI or VGA connection screen

does anyone know the limitations of connecting these via mini-displayport? It seems like I can connect 2 and use the built-in laptop screen, but i'm not sure about using three externals and closing the laptop and disabling the built-in screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts