Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping some fellow ehMacers can help me out here. I am looking for old dilapidated, condemned, abandoned ware houses, houses, churches, barns, etc, etc, etc in Alberta.

As I am a motorcycle rider, the closer to city roads the better, but I will go off the beaten path if need be. If you know of anything, please let me know!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats for the link Greenman!

·
Registered
510 Posts
No problem

When I lived in Calgary (about 23 years ago) I bought a Yamaha 650 Special from Walt Healy Cycle - are they still around?

Anyway I did a few trips into the mountains on it and enjoyed it immensely (except for the piles of sand at every intersection in the spring) :eek:

I wanted to check out more ghost towns etc when I was there - never did though and ended up selling the bike and moving back here.

Enjoy the rides and post some snaps of your visits!

Cheers!
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Wish I could think of a few but that is a great website.

I spend most weekends camping in Banff when I was a kid and thought I knew everything about Lake Minnewanka, but it wasn't until I took my wife on the boat tour that I found out there was a town covered by the lake.

I've been to Upper and Lower Bankhead but, iirc, there are no structures still standing, just foundations.

There is an old gas station on the the Transcanada Highway just before the Bow Valley turnoff (if you cross the Kananaskis River you have gone too far) that is abandon with some graffiti on it and all of the windows smashed out. Not sure if it is on the reservation but it is just off the highway on the left hand side if you are heading west.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
When I lived in Calgary (about 23 years ago) I bought a Yamaha 650 Special from Walt Healy Cycle - are they still around?
Walt Healy is a big as they ever were. Unfortunately, Walt passed on a couple of years back. He was riding right up to the end, though, packing his oxygen bottle in his hack.

Hell of a man, hell of a gentleman. He was responsible for putting more people on motorcycles than anyone I know.

Miss him playing Santa Claus at the annual Calgary Toy Run.

RIP, Walt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts