Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this unique Apple site in Ukraine, which is probably of interest to only a few besides macspectrum and myself. It is interesting to see displays of other languages of what I expect to see in English...........at least for the linguist in me with roots from the Ukraine.

http://www.apple.com.ua/articles/mac_pole.shtml

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Dr. G.,
I'll have to wait until my Mac is in OS X to view the site.
OS 9 isn't very good about viewing non-Latin characters.

Once nice feature of OS X.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
macspectrum, it is unique in that every-so-often there is an English word thrown in to the overall text. Strange, but my Dell downloaded and translated this quite well. :D

VGG, I passed the test for the US State Dept. and requested a posting in the Foreign Service with Yugoslavia, Greece and Canada (this was back in 1972 when there still was a Yugoslavia). I liked Slovenia and Croatia the most in terms of friendly people (I was hitch hiking around Europe in the Fall of 1972) and beautiful scenery. Greece I loved for the history and the scenery. Canada I loved for the people, the history, the scenery and because my mom was born in Montreal.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Dr. G. said:
I came across this unique Apple site in Ukraine, which is probably of interest to only a few besides macspectrum and myself. It is interesting to see displays of other languages of what I expect to see in English...........at least for the linguist in me with roots from the Ukraine.
Just to let you know, the language used on this "Ukrainian" site is Russian.

They figure all Ukrainians must know Russian, the language of the opressors and imperialists.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
macspectrum, an interesting thing happens when I go to the site. It starts of in one orthography, refreshes, and then goes to the orthography that I mistakenly thought was a Ukranian script. Would you have a site I might go to to see what a Ukranian orthography might look like? Sorry for the misinformation re the written text. It must be galling for those who know the difference to see "...the language of the opressors and imperialists" on this supposed Ukranian site.

On a totally different note, what province and community/city would you say had the highest concentration of people who would say that their roots came from Ukraine?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re: ukrainian site, http://music.uar.net/
check out the contemporary Ukrainian music and videos. i can usually tell what part of the country the singers are from by their accent

check out the video in the video section, left column, 2nd from the top (b/w with accordian player - what else? - on of my favourites.
The singer has a very Central Ukrainian (Kyiv) accent and was a DJ on a Kyiv radio station for a while. Now they are one of the most popular modern groups in Ukraine. the video clip to right of that one is also by the same group and also a fav.

some notes on Ukrainian orthography can be found

re: city/prov with most people with Ukrainian roots

do you mean people with ukrainian roots still in ukraine or the diaspora or did you mean Canada (part of said "diaspora") ? here

[ May 10, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: macspectrum ]

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
macspectrum, thanks for these unique URLs. In that my grandparents came from a tiny Jewish village just on the outskirts of Kyiv, this will prove interesting.

My question was about Ukranian communities here in Canada. For example, NYC has about the highest concentration of Jewish people in the US, and I would say that either Montreal or TO would have this distinction in Canada. NYC or Boston might have the highest concentration of people who have roots originating from Ireland. I guess I could check the Canadian census figures, but I was just curious to know what city and or province might have the most people who have roots originating from Ukraine. I would love to know the name of the village that my grandparents came from, but the only thing I can remember from when I was a boy was that they were just outside of Kyiv, and were forced out of Czarist Russia during the Pogroms of 1903.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
macspectrum, nothing comes up when I click on the primer hyperlink. Might you send me the URL? Merci.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Dr. G wrote...

Slovenia and Croatia the most in terms of friendly people (I was hitch hiking around Europe in the Fall of 1972) and beautiful scenery.
I hear ya! I lived in Bosnia for just over 2 years (after the war) starting in 1999...and got to travel throughout the former Yugoslavia. I just love it there!!! The Croatian coast is awesome...and makes much of its Italian counterpart look like slums! The people are great. The geography some of the most interesting in the world!

I highly recommend the Balkans if anyone is looking for a wonderful holiday filled with history, sunshine and wonderous people! Oh...and the food is DEEEEEEEE-Lish! :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VGG, I was saddened every time I read of another town that was bombed/attacked/under seige/etc during all the troubles in the country that was Yugoslavia. I am amazed that Tito was able to keep the country together, albeit with tight control, all the years he was in power. Still, the memories and pictures I have of that rambling trip (I went from Munich to Athens,Greece) shall be with me forever.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
macspectrum, thanks for this profile. Have you ever checked out the Ellis Island website? Most unique! Merci.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
On a totally different note, what province and community/city would you say had the highest concentration of people who would say that their roots came from Ukraine?
I would say Winnipeg. Of course Winnipeg has quite a lot of different ethnic groups, one of the reasons for it's festival (can't remember what the name is) where you get to experience the various ethnic foods and entertainment.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kosh, I once applied for a position at a learning disabilities clinic in Winnipeg. I have always liked that city, have been there twice, and each time felt a good feeling about the city.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Kosh, re: Ukrainian population in Canada, I think Alberta might hold that distinction.

The multiple waves of massive Ukrainian immigration make the question a little complicated.

As far as most recent emigré and 1st generation Ukrainian-Canadians, I would say Toronto.
As for multi-generational, Edmonton, Winnipeg. BC has a surprisingly large Ukrainian population.

As for the festival, I think you are thinking of the Dauphin Festival, held of course in Dauphin, MB.

Winnipeg does claim to make the best kovbassa, lovingly called "kub" (koob)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts