Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, thought I'd post this slightly mad idea I'm entertaining for my big jump to my first mac. I've been weighing the options between an the c2d imacs and the new c2d mac minis, but for as long as I can remember I've loved the asthetics of the old imac g4 and the g4 cube. Pretty sure it would be impossible to get anything resembling an intel chip into a lampshade imac, but as for the cube I came across these two mods.

123Macmini.com - News - Project: Mac mini Cube

Cube CoreDuo Intel ... - CubeOwner Forums

I've got no crazy desires to repaint the cube, but it would be neat to get a c2d mac mini into a cube housing, have the classic cube setup running an intel chip. Obviously I'd use something a little more solid than the cork. Bonus marks if I could figure out a way to get the touch sensative button working lol

I'm looking at picking up the 1.83 c2d mac mini with 2gb of RAM for this, which runs about 730$ with the student discount and I've located a 20" studio style monitor with adc connector for 300.

Thoughts? anyone think I should be sectioned for even entertaining such notions? lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
there's little point though! The only advantage is a little more room for a standard 3.5" hard drive. There's no PCI slots on the mini's motherboard so the expansion room in the Cube is negated.

They should make a Mini Cube - 2.5 times the size of the mini but with a cheaper desktop processor (Quad, baby!) cheaper/faster desktop hard drive, 4 RAM slots, 1 PCI and 1 PCI-e16 graphics slot.

That would ROCK - as well as eat some of the MacPro's marketshare. :(

Think of it as an iMac without a screen. ;) Heck, even a single PCI makes it BETTER than an iMac!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts