Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even after all these years, I"m still discovering new ways to do things on my Mac. And this is ridiculously simple, but I'd never stumbled across it before....

If, like me, you use the space bar to jump down a page in Safari, did you know that shift-space will jump you back up a page?

;)
M

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
did you know that the command-tab method of switching between applications that is supposed to be so innovative in Panther is actually present in a stripped down sort of way in Jaguar (and Windows 98 and up)?

Option Tab in Internet Explorer will highlight the text in the address bar so that you don't have to select it with the mouse. I don't know what the equivalent is in Safari (anybody know?) Right now I have to hit Tab to cycle throught all the links in the window and eventually land my cursor in the address bar.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
anybody else have tips?

i find a lot of these functions are so obscure they almost have to be stumbled upon by accident.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
I never knew this.
Very Handy for Powerbooks as Elmer noted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Neat, I just tried it at work, lol, u learn something new everyday

Thanx for the Tip.

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
For PowerBook/iBook users, you can also scroll up/down with the arrow keys, and if you hold down the 'fn' ky the arrows keys are transformed thus:

up = pageup
down = pagedown
left = home (top of page)
right = end (bottomw of page)

It's weird, but even those this is all marked on the keyboard, surprisingly few people know about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just out of curiosity ... my keyboard has both a page down key and a page up key. Is there a reason why the space bar would be preferred, not that there's anything wrong with the space bar...

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
if you hold down the shift key while using your scroll wheel the page will scroll horizontally (just discovered in safari, don't know about other browsers since i don't use them)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Just noticed that the "nine" in the OS 9 classic dock icon fills with gold as Classic launches in OS 10.3.2 (can you tell how often I run Classic????). Cute.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JMac, I find the space bar / shift-space bar feature easier to use. To use the Fn / PageUp or PageDown means moving my hands off the keyboard... guess it's all what you're used to, eh?

Since discovering the Shift-Spacebar feature, I find myself using it a LOT :D when I'm scrolling through large pages..

M

·
Registered
162 Posts
u know what? me too!!!

Here's a question. In Windows, I can use the home and end keys to jump to the end or beginning of a line, but they don't operate this way with X.

This is about the only frustration that i haven't quite gotten over since purchasing my mac.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Here's a question. In Windows, I can use the home and end keys to jump to the end or beginning of a line, but they don't operate this way with X.
In some cases, CTRL-A and CTRL-E are the equivalents.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts