Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my MacBook for a year now and you think I'd have this figured out by now.

I want to create a new file within a folder - ie. in Windows, I can right-click while in a folder and I get a menu that gives me the option to create a new file. Can't figure out how to do this in OSX.

Also, I'm looking for an application where I can drag and drop portions of webpages into a document. It needs to preserve the formatting and rich objects from the page. When I do it now with Word, it seems to bring in the text elements but not the graphics. Or, I can pull individual graphics from the page. But, never both. I'm using Mozilla Firefox, BTW.

Will a different word processor or a different browser make this easier?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I want to create a new file within a folder - ie. in Windows, I can right-click while in a folder and I get a menu that gives me the option to create a new file. Can't figure out how to do this in OSX.
Out of the box, I don't believe there is a way to do this. However, using the plugin Big Cat ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14164 ) you can make a list of AppleScripts to run, giving you similar functionality ( and a lot more customization).

Also, I'm looking for an application where I can drag and drop portions of webpages into a document. It needs to preserve the formatting and rich objects from the page. When I do it now with Word, it seems to bring in the text elements but not the graphics. Or, I can pull individual graphics from the page. But, never both. I'm using Mozilla Firefox, BTW.

Will a different word processor or a different browser make this easier?
This is more a trial an error thing. Word processors aren't exactly designed to be webpages creation programs. You may have more luck with Adobe Dreamweaver. On the cheap side you might try Apple's Pages.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Your first question , I do not understand. What kind of file? Even in Windows Ive never had the option to make new files of a document via right click. How would Windows know what kind of file or document? Maybe you aren't communicating the problem exactly.

Your second question is possible two ways
on your web browser of choice on the web page you want part of:
choose print from the file menu, then choose save as PDF
import the file into your program and select the portion you want and copy to your word doc

or type all at once: Apple-Shift-4, and select the area you want to use and there you have a pdf of your selected area on your desktop ready to insert.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Question one - there are Finder settings to Save to ( last folder ) for instance and there are third party save enhancements.
Suggest a tour of VersionTracker.com to find the tweaks you want.

••••

Question 2

Apple's text edit does a very good job but it also depends on your browser in handling images . It can use drag and drop as well as Copy Paste

Safari or Shiira will allow a copy and past of an entire page and maintain the images and the links and formatting all in place tho it can look confusing as click through elements are displayed as well.

This was copy/pasted from a website in Shiira directly to TextEdit.

Of course in Textedit it is completely accessible for edit etc unlike a pdf or screen shot.

Other browsers only copy the image links ( Seamonkey and Camino )

••

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your first question , I do not understand. What kind of file? Even in Windows Ive never had the option to make new files of a document via right click. How would Windows know what kind of file or document? Maybe you aren't communicating the problem exactly.

Your second question is possible two ways
on your web browser of choice on the web page you want part of:
choose print from the file menu, then choose save as PDF
import the file into your program and select the portion you want and copy to your word doc

or type all at once: Apple-Shift-4, and select the area you want to use and there you have a pdf of your selected area on your desktop ready to insert.
In Windows, you can modify the right-click menu. I don't have my Windows box in front of me so I can't give you the exact steps but it can be done by the user. Also, when you install something like Office, it modifies the menu so you get a "New...Word/Excel/PP Document" option. You choose the type of document and it launches the app. When you save it, it saves to the folder from which you launched.

I prefer this to launching the application and then saving it to the right folder. Sometimes, I'm lazy, just save it to wherever Word default folder and then later, I have trouble finding it.

Thanks for your suggestions on #2. The pdf idea is a good one but I would prefer to drag and drop the page or portion of page into a document. I thought there should be a way to do this without a lot of saving, importing, etc.

Thanks MacDoc for your suggestion. I will try Safari. I hear the new versions are more efficient than Firefox.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
I've owned my MacBook for a year now and you think I'd have this figured out by now.

This maybe isn't what you're looking for, but here's my take.
In every app I've tried that creates files or documents,
in the top menu bar under file, usually the first option is "New File".
Is this not sufficient?

jb

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
There's nothing to do what you want built into OS X itself. As others have noted, you have to boot the application first. Many apps have a preference for you to set its state when launching (open file dialog, or open with blank document, etc.). Setting this preference (when available) can deliver what you want, that being a blank document.

As for booting the app, itself, you're essentially booting the app using a pop-up contextual menu via right-click. There are third party solutions to give you this functionality, such as http://www.finderpop.com/ (among others).

You might also want to check out Default Folder, which provides excellent flexibility with open/save dialogs.

This may sound ironic but, if you change your approach and conform to Apple's logic, you'll gain greater flexibility. I used to use FinderPop and also have Default Folder installed, but due to the fact that it is SO EASY to populate the Dock with whatever apps, files and folders I want to, I just use it as my one-stop for everything. The Dock takes advantage of Fitt's Law, and is ever present. If you think about it, there's no more labour required on your part in either case:

WINDOWS:

1) Possibly have to SHOW DESKTOP before you do anything.
2) Right-click.
3) Scroll.
4) Possibly have to scroll further to navigate a nestled folder of these commands (I forget).
5) Click desired new app.

OS X:

1) Move to Dock (same as Windows' step 3 of scrolling)
2) Click Docked app.
3) Either the app opens with a blank document, or
4) Move to File Menu.
5) Click.
6) Scroll to "New...".
7) Click.

Steps 4-7, however, can EASILY be negated by Command-N.

Also, as the Dock is easily configurable, I put the work folder of current projects in it, allowing easy access no matter where am. I have also placed work folders in the Finder window sidebar, even for just ten minutes while I houseclean about my hard drive.

I have learned to not be attached to the way I have traditionally done things, because the Mac platform is constantly evolving in one way or another. I often try new things Apple does -- like Expose -- and think, "I NEVER KNEW I would have needed that!" I see this as an advantage in using this platform :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello hhk. It seems a few of us here aren't familiar with the "New > X File Type" context menu in Windows. As an ex-Windows user myself, I used to use it quite often (especially when I was browsing in multiple nested folders and forgot where I was).

Fortunately, there's a freeware option for OS X that replicates this feature exactly.

It's called NuFile. Here's the description from their website:

NuFile(pronounced new-file (Nu is a greek letter)) is a contextual menu plugin. It adds a new file menu when you right click at a folder(ie: desktop or Finder background); just like what you can do in Windows. With this menu, you can create an empty file of your favourite type with just two clicks (or just one click if you hold the button down). It's a time saver especially if you have a two-button mouse...

It looks like this:

Look familiar? :)

You can download NuFile at the Created by Tee website:
Created By Tee

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Sweet, alphacrumb! 'Tis a big, wide world of shareware out there!

And welcome to ehMac!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts