Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching macs for awhile now for personal use and I'm leaning towards the G5.

I heard that there's a difference in the available drive bays in the G5 from the G4.

Is this true? How many drives could I put in?

Thanks in advance...

-sb

·
Registered
273 Posts
All G5 models can have 2 hard drives internally.
The G4 mirror drive door models can hold 4 internally and even up to 5 if you put the 5th drive in the extra bay alloted for a second optical drive.
I had 4 drives in my older quicksilver G4 but I had to run 2 of them from a PCI ATA controller card. Only 2 drives work off the mother board ATA bus.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I had 4 drives in my older quicksilver G4 but I had to run 2 of them from a PCI ATA controller card. Only 2 drives work off the mother board ATA bus.
In the MDD models, you can have 4 internal drives all off the same ATA chain - the first two will run at ATA/100 standards, but the other two will run at ATA/66 standards (unless, of course you add a ATA/100-133 PCI controller card).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"All G5 models can have 2 hard drives internally."

Is it safe to say then it's like a PC?

Two internal hard drive bays and two internal bays for cd-rom/dvd-rom/etc ?

-sb

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
No - the G5 can only hold a single optical drive and two hard drives.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No. Only room for one cd-rom/dvd-rom.

That's one of the downsides but others will argue you can get firwire additions, but that means extra peripherals that are more expensive than internal, and adds clutter to your work area

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
With Apple's rep for thoughtfulness and design, I wonder why they would do that...
Looks better with just one CD bay on the front. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I've been researching macs for awhile now for personal use and I'm leaning towards the G5.
if you are using the machine for personal use then i recommend you save your money and go with a new G4. i highly doubt you would notice any difference in speed and you could buy yourself a kickass monitor with the money you save.

just a thought..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"if you are using the machine for personal use then i recommend you save your money and go with a new G4. i highly doubt you would notice any difference in speed and you could buy yourself a kickass monitor with the money you save."

I'm a big believer of the "you don't build a doghouse for a puppy" analogy when it comes to buying a computer.

I don't want to have to run out and buy a new computer to run some game or application two years down the road.

-sb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Looks better with just one CD bay on the front."

Until that drive fails or acts up and you've just lost your cd-rom, dvd-rom, cd and dvd burner all at once.

-sb

·
Registered
232 Posts
The reason there are minimal drive bays in the G5 is because of the cooling system it uses.

This was a well thought out design that took into account all the complaints about fan noise in the G4's.

Personally I would rather have peace and quiet with one CD/DVD bay and two HD bays. Besides you can stick a half terabyte in the thing for crying out loud.

A second CD/DVD drive would have been nice but not absolutely essential IMHO

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
Right on the money Mr. G :cool:
There are good quiet external drive cases now. The G5 is just gorgeously dressed inside - the first Mac that really looked good inside and likely the reason for the clear side case being more than a show piece for dealers. I just love the clean interior look and it breaks up hte "slab side" look of the bare casing. Never had the side panel on mine yet.
The only thing I would like to see is a third party fitted cover for the drive bay strip across the top as my lighting cables are visible in there

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"The reason there are minimal drive bays in the G5 is because of the cooling system it uses.

This was a well thought out design that took into account all the complaints about fan noise in the G4's."

That makes sense.

"Personally I would rather have peace and quiet with one CD/DVD bay and two HD bays."

Ah, I've worked with some noisy PC's and not so noisy ones. The noisy ones never really bugged me. I just like having two cd/dvd drivers for cd to cd copying (i hate caching to disk and swaping cd's) and in case one goes down, the other one can play the role of backup.

not a big thing for me tho.

-sb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts