Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alberta judge laments demise of the whip
Judge says Parliament should bring back corporal punishment as he sentences man who sexually assaulted girlfriend in front of their two-year-old son
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070705.walbertajudge0705/BNStory/National/

I can understand the frustration of the judge, but has corporal punishment ever worked?

Also, it's odd to see so many decry that Taliban used this kind of punishment, yet will see this acceptable here.

Now we can juxtapose this case with one that unfolded this week in Quebec where a young soldier had his lawyer and the Canadian army lobby on his behalf so that he could serve in Afghanistan.
Private Boulet was found guilty this year in the rape of a friend's sister. While the Crown has asked for jail time, the soldier's lawyer has asked for an absolute discharge to enable Pte. Boulet to pursue his military career, arguing that he's more useful as a soldier than a prisoner.
"This man has a job. He's in the military to defend us," lawyer Richard Philippe Guay said in an interview. "Here we have a good soldier who can go to Afghanistan. He's an asset to society."

A Valcartier officer, Captain Adjutant Michel Arsenault, testified at his sentencing hearing in May that while his criminal conviction has jeopardized his future in the army, an absolute discharge would improve his chances of remaining in the Forces.
An absolute discharge results in no criminal record. A court can grant one if it considers it to be in the best interest of the accused and not contrary to the public interest.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070704.ASSAULT04/TPStory/Front

Private Boulet is no 'asset to society' - he's a rapist, plain and simple

Canadian Forces should have no place for men convicted of sexual assault

Happily, Quebec Court Judge Carol St-Cyr didn't fall for this self-serving nonsense. Yesterday, he sentenced Boulet to 15 months of community service, 18 months' probation and a $1,500 fine. Boulet will now have a criminal record and will in all likelihood be ousted from the army.
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazet...l?id=a2df2051-039e-46c2-9657-802411649638&p=2

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
AS, why even bring in the name of Alberta in the title of your thread? This demeans an entire province, and your credability. Of course, if you are doing this to pick a fight with Sinc, it may or may not work. If you left out the name of Alberta, this might have been a thread worth participating in re corporal punishment and our penal system.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
AS, why even bring in the name of Alberta in the title of your thread? This demeans an entire province, and your credability. Of course, if you are doing this to pick a fight with Sinc, it may or may not work. If you left out the name of Alberta, this might have been a thread worth participating in re corporal punishment and our penal system.
marc, your usual witty remarks seem to have left you

the judge mentioned is from Alberta and I don't see why you took this opportunity to bait AS

the judge demeaned his own credibility and his province

a fact seemingly lost on you as you use a Rovian technique of attacking the messenger rather than attack the message

perhaps you need more coffee

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Michael, read the title of the thread. "A judge only an Albertan could love?" is offensive to those Albertans with a different viewpoint. I certainly did not want to "bait" AS. I guess I should not have mentioned his "comments" to/at Sinc in another thread. I was not attacking AS in any way. If his title was "Who could love such a judge?", it would have turned into a discussion on this judge's rulings/views rather than about people living in Alberta.

Paix, mon ami.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
the judge demeaned his own credibility and his province
The judge did no such thing. He merely expressed his revulsion at the heinous crime as a personal opinion.

Whether he is an Alberta or Ontario judge is irrelevant. Do some of your opinions "demean your credibility and your province"? Highly unlikely.

What a stretch to even make such a statement.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AS, why even bring in the name of Alberta in the title of your thread?
AS, why even bring in the name of Alberta in the title of your thread?
Mark, I did contrast this with a similar ruling from Quebec.
Why does it seem that crime seems worst out West (stats back that up also) and that is also the territory that seems to want mob justice more?

I added the Quebec ruling because I've read that some editorials suggested that the soldier from Quebec should get a less severe sentence so that he can serve in Afghanistan.

All these sentences seem quite arbitrary and the interpretations of what should be done, partially based on beliefs.

Some board members here decry "Muslims" for their "savage" justice system and happily point finger and how cruel they are. I wonder if some feel the same outrage when one of our judges suggest the same thing...

And while you may find it demeaning to Albertans, there seems to be very little outrage at the statements there.
I could bring out how stupid his statements are because crimes such as rapes, wife-beatings and such have been diminishing (per capita of course).
Whipping was once permissible as punishment in Canada but did not work. I'd odd how some old nostalgia fools want to go back to a past that never existed.

To recap in the politically correct atmosphere that Mark would like:
You have a man guilty of sexual assault, unlawful confinement and uttering death threats. He was/is also a drug addict. The judge laments the fact that we cant' inflict corporal punishment.

You have a man guilty of rape. Because he's a soldier, who have army personnel asking for leniency, so that he can serve in Afghanistan. His lawyer uses the hackneyed "he's an asset to society" and wants an absolute discharge.

In the end Mr. Soldier rapist gets 5 months of community service, 18 months' probation and a $1,500 fine. He'll also have a criminal record.

The judge did no such thing. He merely expressed his revulsion at the heinous crime as a personal opinion.
While sitting on the bench, he represents the judiciary of his jurisdiction.

p.s. when I "bait" SINC, I use his name in the title of the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Many people like to stereotype whenever they can...
It's OK in this case, as AS has an ideologically correct "progressive" point of view - and he's only picking on the uneducated rubes and ******** in Alberta.

Now if he was to invoke some stereotype about Hamas for example, that would be insensitive and inappropriate...

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's OK in this case, as AS has an ideologically correct "progressive" point of view - and he's only picking on the uneducated rubes and ******** in Alberta.

Now if he was to invoke some stereotype about Hamas for example, that would be insensitive and inappropriate...
No one seems to have many objections labelling Quebec...

So PenguinBoy, is the judge's stance not representative of Alberta thinking?

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Opinion of Canadians With Regards to the Death Penalty

Generally speaking, are you FOR or AGAINST the death penalty for persons convicted of murder? n=1508
FOR AGAINST DNK/REFUSAL
Atlantic provinces 33.2% 53.8% 13.0%
Quebec 53.5% 44.3% 2.2%
Ontario 52.7% 44.3% 3.0%
Prairies 53.6% 36.1% 10.4%
Alberta 61.8% 35.8% 2.3%
British Columbia 57.5% 39.1% 3.4%

Canada 52.9% 43.0% 4.1%
http://www.legermarketing.com/documents/spclm/010917eng.pdf
Maybe something in the drinking water?

This gem is amusing
Deterring Roper’s Juveniles: Why
Immature Criminal Youth Require the
Death Penalty more than Adults – a Law
& Economics Approach
by Moin A. Yahya
http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3432&context=expresso

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
No one seems to have many objections labelling Quebec...
No one? AS, there was no reason for the "Albertan" bit. I know that it's okay, particularly amongst some Ontario ehmacers, to act that way regarding Albertans but they're hardly a standard to revere. Also possibly you feel some justification because Sinc has taken jabs at QC in the past, but how does your jab at the general populace resolve this?

This reminds me of 'Spec's "Russian" misstep, although a lot less insulting. Still, I think you agreed that there was a problem with the statement/title.

If, when I posted the Herouxville thing a while back, I had said something that similarly tried to paint all Quebec residents (with the minor "out" of a question mark) the same way, I think that you would have been justifiably angry. Simply adding some example from another province in the same post does not undo that.

I think it would be pretty good of you to request that the title of your thread be edited.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
First off, it is bigoted to stereotype an entire Province.

Secondly, a majority of people in Quebec support the death penalty and the level of support in each province (excluding the Atlantic Provinces) is more or less the same.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Secondly, a majority of people in Quebec support the death penalty and the level of support in each province (excluding the Atlantic Provinces) is more or less the same.
No wonder some with a minority government try to rule as if they had a majority...

But yes the pro-death is higher in Quebec.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Why are you always provoking people AS?

Alberta and its truck driving hicks, conservative views, wow it has to be a bad province! Everyone in there is bad bad bad. It smells like oil and cow poo, they've been greedy with their oil revenues and not sharing with the rest of the province just because the Liberal government screwed them over during the oil crisis leaving families in ruins but that's not a good excuse. What a bad province eh??

At first I thought you were just out to get SINC, now you're out to get a whole province. Now it's personal.

*deleted*

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I am glad to see you deleted that word dona83. It was not like you. One need not stoop to another's level to make a point.

And thanks for your concern, but his antics don't bother me in the least.

His actions shine loud and clear for others to come to the same conclusion you did. Let him continue to demonstrate his talents to the rest of the board. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts