Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know peoples opinions on a good set of computer speakers that are reasonably priced (under $200) and that are mac compatible...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Go for the best set on monsoons that you can afford. I would recommend the 702's.

They also have cheaper models, but try to go for the 702's. I think they are the sweet spot in the line. Best price/preformance ratio.

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
You can get the HK Soundsticks for just a bit above your budget.
Arguably the best looking

Effortless sound - in other words they don't have to be turned way up to have good impact.

The others we like in that range are the JBL Creatures.

I would suggest the upper range not quite as spacious and detailed on the JBLs.

Now this model we've been selling for two years now - it's amazing full rich sound - our audio guys reviewed them and were amazed - people buy them 4 and 5 sets at a time. Not so pretty

But the controls are nice and at $59 we've never found anything that comes even close. :cool:

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
macdoc,
what make and model is that $59 set?
i have a windoze friend looking to upgrade his computer speakers

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I think bang for the buck, it's hard to beat the creatures. The design and sound are very good.

I just set these up in the showroom yesterday. A touch out of your budget but they seem very good too.
JBL Invaders - $239.00

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
Labtec 420s
You gotta know that with all the tech changes us sticking with a single model for two years has significance. It was funny to hear the audio guys doing the reviews mumbling about how unlikely that level of perfomance from $60 system.

Sonically they are not in the league of the others mentioned but they have a satisfying sound for MP3 and Internet radio and a good impact for gaming on the bottom end.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Logitech Z-340

I've seen them go for as low at $55 at large retailers.
I have a set on my AlPB 12", used them on my G4 Quicksilver, recommended them to a PC neighbor, my brother-in-law, my father, my best friend - they were all amazed by these speakers, dynamic range, cost, control, design etc. It's a 2.1 speaker set-up with a standard 3.5mm stereo plug. Logitech uses neodymium rare-earth magnets in all their drivers, and ported sub-woofers with fibre-board cabinets - only the satellites have any plastic, and their stands can be swivelled around for wall mounting.

N.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I bought my Altec Lansing ACS 21w speakers off of Rodkin
a while back and love them, The bass is great while playing
games online or listening to an iTunes radio station.

I'm not sure what they cost new...I paid $25.00

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Monsoon has discontinued their multimedia audio division (or so I am told) so anything you can find from them that is current should be marked down fairly nicely. For example, London Drugs has the Monsoon Planar Media 9 (2.1) set for 69.98 when it's regular retail price was around $170. Both the Granville & Georgia and West Broadway locations in vancouver have a pretty good supply of these speakers.

The MH-702s (actually, the entire MM/MH series) have not been manufactured in some time, to the best of my knowledge.

If you are looking for something that doesn;t use electrostatics, I'd reccomend the Logitech Z3 set which are not only stylish, but sound excellent.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
macHome Magaziine gave five apples tothe following:
Monsoon Planarmedia 14 (2.1)
Altec Lansing 5100 (5.1)
Logitech Z-340 (4.1) ... Sorry it's the Z-540 in Canada.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree with Nick...If you could find a Monsoon system that would be great. I have a low-end Monsoon system ($99.00) and the sound is fantastic. Looks like PosterBoy is right, Monsoon's computer line doesn't exist anymore so, you may in fact be able to locate some old stock and get a deal. They're powerful speakers with thunderous bass and crisp clarity! I haven't used other types of speakers, but have been quite happy with the Monsoons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts