Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Powerlogix has finally made available the G3 upgrades for the Pismo's. Available as Vari-speed 800 Mhz ($299) and 900 Mhz ($349). G4 500 still available. It is now very tempting to upgrade as my Pismo has been completely trouble free and in my opinion is the best laptop design Apple has put out to date....not the fastest but great design and expandability. Now the question is G3 or G4?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Great news indeed.
Now if someone could upgrade the vram, then we're talkin killer laptop.
Robert

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
:eek: OMG!

That's kinda sick... Still not a G4 though, but likely quite comparable. Although I might want to see some tests 1st. And, the upgrade may take a more than a minute to get done.A friend of mine got the G4 upgrade done, and PL waited until they had a stack of Pismos, and banged all of them at once. He got his unit weeks later - far longer than the '5 buisness days' they claim on the site. Anyhow, this is worth exploring - although the VRAM is still a little issue.

$299 USD? both the G3 800 and G4 500 are the same price. Hmmm... Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
The video memory was allways my problem with the Pismo's. I love the Pismo's but at the time I bought the iBook 600 the 16mb memory is what decided my fate. I wish they had a 16 or 32mb video update. I would buy a Pismo for sure. How much difference in an overall benchmark would a G4 with 8mb video comapred to a G3 with 16mb video if they were had the same CPU speed?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Now, I read somewhere that the Lombard/Pismo upgrades from Powerlogix will only run the original operating system that came with the Powerbook :( If this is true....................I'm not a happy camper :(
I've been wanting a G4 upgrade for my lombard for some time now but the price is still a little high yet.

Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
As in... it will only run OS9?? Really? WIll ask a buddy if mine. Odd...

·
Registered
591 Posts
From what I hear Newertech's WILL run the latest OS.

Exerp from response from NuPower G4 Pismo sales department :

"This upgrade has been constructed specifically for the Pismo. It has also been made with the latest OS compatibility in mind. This will work with
jaguar. "

This is right from the 'horses mouth' as it were.

_F

·
Registered
43 Posts
Think they'll ever come out with a Pismo G4 800 or 900? I have a Pismo G3 500, so the G4 upgrade doesn't make a huge amout of sense right now.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
G3 to G4?? there must be a decent difference in some apps - likely some DV editing. Nothing that I know of yet - but there must be a boost worth mentioning at some point. Anyone care to list them?? I do recall ripping some music and there was a noticeable diff there. I've heard the that G4 upg makes the Pismo fly - verbal testimony mind you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts