Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!

Apologies to MacDoc who patiently answered most of these questions earlier. I had forgotten our original thread and it's been a while since I posted since I was patiently waiting for the 9.2 fullfillment CD from New Brunswick.

Well, it finally got here and the upgrade from 8.6 to 9.2 was seamless...took about 10 minutes and all well. There was no firmware message during the install.

Now I want to use Disk Copy to make an image of the main drive, partition into 2 separate drives, install 9.2 on one and Jaguar on the other. I'll be putting Jaguar on the first partition even though I don't have a huge drive, then I wanted to use Disk Copy to get 9.2 on the other.

I've been trying to copy to a Jaz that has ample space but I keep getting an error saying there is a problem. It says the problem is with the drive I'm trying to copy and to try another disk? Disk Fist Aid says there's no problem with my hard drive. So, I used Norton to make a back-up of the drive. I'm leery of letting Norton do anything more since I have wonderful memories of running Norton on a new 8500, receiving a ton of error messages, fixing them and then having to reinstall all the software because of a problem Norton had with the then 'new' Apple drives.

To make a short story long here are my questions: 1)Once I've formatted and partitioned the drives should I install(restore)the backup of 9.2 first, then install 10.2? I hesitate to do this because Iknow 'restoring' the contents is not same as installing the software but I'm lazy and don't want to go through installing and upgrading 3 different versions of Quark.
2)Is the error message related to the Jaz disk not my hard drive?

And yes MacDoc, my unit does have a SCSI card. Will that cause problems?

Thanks in advance.

surrealestate

·
Registered
778 Posts
Your problems are with the destination disk. It probably does not have enough free space to write to. I think there is actually a "disk container" or temp folder created where disk copy dumps all the files before creating the actual disk image.

This being said, I think you need to have 2 GB's of free space for 1GB of data. Been so long since I have imaged in OS9

The other thing you have to make sure to do is partition your drives properly. Depending on what type of Apple you have, there are limitation on installing the OS on anything larger than an 8GB drive. Partitioning your 40 GB drive is fine, however you have to make sure your first partition on the drive is a touch under 8GB's for the OS to install and run properly.

To image in OS 9, do the following:

>Boot up from your CD-ROM (9.2.2 disk)
>Open your hard drive and make a new folder. Call it the same name as your physical hard drive :i.e. Macintosh HD.
>Move all your folders (apps, system folder, personal) into the new folder on your hard disk.
>Now your hard drive that you want to create is the size of the folder (500MB's as opposed to 40GB that the physical drive is)
>load up disk copy and choose file>create new image from file or folder
>choose your folder that is the same name as your hard drive and click on image.
>Select your destination when prompted and if you have enough free space you can choose to use a read/write image to add to it in the future and "bless" the system folder so that it is bootable.

Hope that helps ya.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Hmmm this seems to reaffirm our insistance that those buying current Macs must either get a second internal drive or a bootable Firewire drive. It makes issues like this simple and takes the very real risk of data loss to a much lower likelihood.
Spending $3000 on a new Mac and not spending 5-7% on a second drive of some nature sees unwise - especially where 9.2 bootable CDs are not readily available.
A Jaz on a Mirror Mac makes me shudder - scary stuff - iOmega has to be the worlds weirdest company for squirrelly approaches to engineering.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts