Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a flyer from Future Shop in our local paper. I see where Linksys has a page unto itself of all of their wireless routers, with half a page dedicated to WAP routers and notebook adaptors.

My question is this -- If the new Airport Extreme card will "read" a signal sent out by any 802.11g WAP router, will the Airport Extreme Router send a signal that can be read by the Linksys 11/54Mbps Notebook Adaptor card? Just curious. Merci.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Dr.G. wrote:
My question is this -- If the new Airport Extreme card will "read" a signal sent out by any 802.11g WAP router, will the Airport Extreme Router send a signal that can be read by the Linksys 11/54Mbps Notebook Adaptor card?

In theory? Yes.

In practice? Dunno.

802.11g is a draft standard, and since these are the first generation of 802.11g cards, I doubt there's been much (if any) interoperability testing. I'd err on the side of being cautious, and assume that Airport EXTREME! and LinkSys 802.11g cards and basestations won't interoperate properly unless you hear otherwise.

For what it's worth, I've heard horror stories about getting LinkSys wireless cards (802.11b) working with wireless access points (regardless of whether they were LinkSys or not), so I'm inclined to avoid LinkSys wireless products when I can. I've had good luck with Orinoco products (although you have to go out of your way to purchase them; most retailers don't stock them).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfp, that was fast. I can appreciate your "rule of thumb" note of caution. Thanks for the info. "Knowledge is power".

Actually, I am utilizing a Linksys wireless router and card with my wife's Dell (don't tell Macspectrum), and it has worked quite well. I am amazed at the range. This is actually one reason I have chosen to go with an iMac, in that I have a wireless laptop right now, albeit a Dell.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was actually going to purchase that Orinoco card (gold or silver) - then I picked up a unit with the Airport card included. My card is running off a NetGear WiFi router. All has been more than cool - actually really good to tell you the truth. No probs whatsoever. Now, I did have a linksys router for a hot minute and got it to work - but it was not the easiest set up for some reason. My bro has a linksys card and NetGear router. Works fine (PC).

My call is that it should work.[/LIST]

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I think Apple uses Orinoco Gold/Silver cards in its 802.11b base stations. Linksys has been good to me (apart from a total lack/ignorance of Mac support) but I've no idea about their 802.11g implementation. What I think is relatively safe to say is that if the "g" mode isn't compatible, then reverting to the "b" mode should be. So, you'd be communicating at 11 mb/s with the base station instead of 54 mb/s. Since your cable/DSL connection is probably less thatn1 mb/s, this won't affect anything. The Airport Extreme base station admin software allows you to run it as an all g network, or all b, or mixed. I'd think the Linksys software would allow similar configs.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jwoodget, thanks for the additional info. I have literally earned a Mac degree from all of the knowledge I have obtained from this forum.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Dr. G. confessed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I am utilizing a Linksys wireless router and card with my wife's Dell (don't tell Macspectrum), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dr. G.'s file updated.
Upload to Apple HQ, Cupertino, CA
Dr. G. flagged in Apple database.
Production line halted
New code entered for Macs

warranty_check;
if gestalt_num = "drg" then
if date(today) > end_of warranty_date then
call crash_and_burn;
end;
else
sleep(12,hours)
call warranty_check
end;

compile warranty_check
touch
flash EPROM
Production line restarted.

:D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
used to be jwoodget wrote:
I think Apple uses Orinoco Gold/Silver cards in its 802.11b base stations.

They do! You can even fool an Orinoco base station into thinking it's an Apple base station (not that I've tried this with mine, mind you).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Macspectrum, you caught me!!!!! I confess. I shall turn myself in and "go to jail". I shall "go directly to jail...and not pass Go". I shall remain in solitary confinement until my iMac arrives.

"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage".

"Two men looked out from prison bars -- one saw mud, the other saw stars."

Does this mean the Catskills gig has been called off????? I wonder if I can still get into the US with a valid US passport and a record as a felon???????? We shall see...
:D

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
TechTV's The Screen Savers went through all this about a week ago. You have to run a little script to tell the Linksys G hardware (PCcard or PCI card) to configure for an address the Airport system uses. Apparently it took about a minute, and you're done.

Check out the story here to see if it's what you need to know:
Tech TV Airport

·
Canadian By Choice
117,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gordguide, thank you for that piece of advice and the link to TechTV. It was most informative. As well, merci RtC for the personal "rule of thumb". All knowledge is helpful.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
speaking of routers....
anyone here have any experience with wireless routers that SUPPORT AppleTalk from an Apple Powerbook with a Apple Airport (regular version) card installed?

i read the reviews from an article posted earlier and the NetGear seemed the best of the bunch but NetGear's site says that their routers do NOT support AppleTalk.

Called my supplier re: NetGear MR314 and it has been replaced by the NetGear MR814 which does not support appletalk.

i checked out Asanté site thinking they support appletalk wireless via airport cards but the info. is not too obvious but you would think asanté would support appletalk, right?

Any anecdotal evidence of a wireless router supporting airport cards would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts