Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... Man I've been asking a lot of questions.
I know that g is 54mbps, but what is the speed of n?
I'm trying to decide between an airport express and extreme. I love the size and features of the express as well as AirTunes, but is it worth getting the extreme for n?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
The speed is meaningless if all you are doing is sharing the Internet.

If you are transfering large files between systems wirelessly, then 'N' is faster, but only if you have supporting hardware on both ends. You need to check whether your computer supports the 'N' upgrade.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The speed is meaningless if all you are doing is sharing the Internet.

If you are transfering large files between systems wirelessly, then 'N' is faster, but only if you have supporting hardware on both ends. You need to check whether your computer supports the 'N' upgrade.
Agreed. Unless your sharing large files or a large amount of files between computers, you won't notice the speed of "N", because the Internet speed of your ISP is less than "G" and even "B".

I'm still on "g" on my Macs and router, and the only problem I had was when transferring a large amount of files between two Macs. I just got out my firewire cable and hooked the two up and started the one in target disk mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
go express

I have the airport express, and given the fact that your hardware has to support N, your internet service provider has to have the fastest speeds and unless you are consistently sharing large files, the airport express is a dream. Its small, has great broadcast range and great features (airtunes, printer), cost less, and you do literally throw it in your backpack and go.

I would suggest the airport express, but you have to look at your needs, both options are pretty sexy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts