Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'll be attending U of T in September and I'm wondering how well the campus wireless locations work with Powerbooks and OS X.

Their website has OS9 instructions, but only a couple of PC cards are supported. Is anyone using Airport successfully there? I'm especially interested in users with the new 802.11g cards, since I'll be using a 12" PB with that card.

I know that's a mouthful for my first post, so thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I know that most universities will not list other 802.11b or 802.11g cards because they will only stock certain ones on campus. I know at UNB, once you registered you MAC address with the CS helpdesk, there was not a problem using Airport on their wireless netowrk which was an IBM network.

AS for U of T, you could always email the helpdesk and ask then, or does anyone know here.

Also, 802.11g should be compatible with 802.11b, but I heard that some routers/WAP will not like the 802.11g.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
I just had a peek at the U of T wireless info page... although there are instructions for OS 9, I don't think that excludes OS X.

The site does say that only 128-bit 802.11b cards are supported, and that the 'g' cards are not... but I doubt that the system would not work, as the 'g' card in your laptop is backward-compatible.

I also find it very odd that U of T would post their network login info (username & password is generic?) and WEP key on a publicly-available website:

http://www.wireless.utoronto.ca/setup/hex.php

:eek:
M

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use the wireless network at York, and if I recall correctly, they didn't have any instructions or offer any support for people using OS X but I managed to get by anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Hey, "M."

I made use of York's network for six weeks over the holidays... wonderful system. Well-set up, with good coverage. I still don't know where the transmitters are in the Library... looked everywhere!

York doesn't offer specific support info for setting up AirYork on an OS X machine, but it does provide the OS X version of their VPN client software at https://tulum.ccs.yorku.ca/airyork/download.htm (You would need a York Univ. username & password to download the client).

Once downloaded, installation is ridiculously simple (the new VPN client for OS X is graphical, as is the installer - the first one I installed had to be done from the terminal). Once installed, just run the client, select AirYork (it should do it automatically) and enter a username / password. Everything is transparent. Now that I'm back in Halifax, I realize how spoiled I was up there... ;)

M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts