Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a cylindrical version of this and put a handle on it, would you call it a FrankenStein?
Hold the "Boos" please!!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Peter, that pun was FrankenPathetic

It's nice to see that we should be able to keep the Cubes viable for a while. In fact, my 500 MHz Radeon Cube doesn't seem to be lagging too badly, 18 months after it was bought. I still love the silence. Hopefully PowerLogix won't go the way of so many upgrade producers and will find a good market among we Cube lovers.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I've been living with our FrankenCube for a week now and must say it's a treat.
It's got a Powerlogix 800 with 256 L2 and 2 meg L3. 80 gig Western Digital 7200 rpm with 8 meg cache and a 32 meg nVidia GeForce 2mx.
If anything it seems to run cooler than the original 450 probably thanks to the extremely quiet fan incorporated into the upgrade.
I run 1600x1200 with tons of things open at once and it's been very stable. :D
Is it worth it?

That's been batted around here. IF you value the Cube for it's quiet and looks and want a serious speed bump then yeah for sure.
But for many the drive and video card will prove the best value for now and maybe the processor upgrade later when it drops a bit.
A Cube rigged this way would sell in the $2500 range..close to the much more powerful DP867 BUT hey those aren't nicknamed "Windtunnel" for nothin :rolleyes: man are they loud. :eek:
Plus the Cubes are getting hard to find so there is a "collectors" aspect to them. Very good looking, still very capable and a rare piece of Apple engineering. Kinda cool :cool:

Stay tuned I've got a less expensive 700 to try next week.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Stay tuned I've got a less expensive 700 to try next week. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't know there was such a thing for a Cube. Is this a PowerLogix product? Does it have a fan? :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts