Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I would see a huge speed difference between my FP 700mhz iMac G4 768 mb ram and a Quicksilver 733 with 512 mb ram with 64 mb video card. My imac is all stock, and I would like to buy a Tower and I noticed jrtech is selling a Quicksilver, I was looking for a Dual 867 but cant seem to find one. So any reviews on any major speed differences I will notice would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I imagine that video card would make a huge difference for games performance and maybe OS X user interface performance also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would prefer a Digital Audio G4 733. The QuickSilver 733 had 256k Level 2 Cache but no Level 3 Cache, but the Digital Audio 733 had 1 MB Level 3 Cache with 256k Level 2 Cache.

Having said that a 733 with no Level 3 Cache is probably not going to give you the speed boost you need/want.

Nice to get the faster Mobo, the PCI slots and a machine that is more "open", though.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
What do you use your Mac for? It might not really matter.

I made the same choice when I was buying new. I chose the QS733. But if I already had a G4 iMac, I'd just keep it unless I really needed something that the iMac couldn't do.

BTW, the reason I bought the QS was for a larger screen resolution. I wanted 1280x1024.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am starting to get into some light video editing, with the potential to do alot more video editing. I would really like a Dual G4, we have a D 1ghz G4 at work and it just flys through everything. I do a little bit of photo editing, video as I stated above, a few games like Warcraft 3, star craft.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know, I'd personally wait for something Dual, unless you're getting a REALLY good deal on the 733.

I just don't think the difference will blow you away.

The QuickSilvers ARE my favorite-looking G4's, though. Nice lines.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 700mhz imac and my buddy has a 500mhz g4 tower. His tower runs considerably faster than my imac. the next mac i buy will definately have open arcitecture.

don't get me wrong i do love my imac...it's so pretty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts