Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all the flap on 7.2 virex cannot believe that members here have not had problems like i had with 7.2 quiting when launched Going to Version tracker and Mcafee sites indicates that the latest version of Virex violated many of the Opensource rules in non attribution of Opensource files and that Virex violated not only the rules but attribution to Opensource

My Virex 7.1 was violated with this upgrade and i had to spend about an hour deleteing 7.2 and reinstalling 7.1 from a prior .dmg and the latest Jan 31 03 dat files

i await a new version of Virex 7.2 that will make this program viable There is some confusion as to whether the code changes to Virex was actually made by Virex coders or Apple coders who made changes to the code after OEM to Apple of the McAfee code .
People that bought the 7.0 version from McAffee seem to be out in the cold for 7.1 or 7.2 It seems that perhaps Apple bought the code for the Mac version of Virex People that call tech support on McAfee seem to be told we have no Mac software

Yeppers we sold the mac soul to Steve Jobs

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
"... People that call tech support on McAfee seem to be told we have no Mac software ..."
Although it wasn't easy, I was able to navigate to McAfee's sales page, clearly offering Virex for Macintosh.

McAffee (and Network Associates) don't exactly have an enviable reputation in the AntiVirus community. For the most part, it's not the software people complain about; it's the way they do business. You experience is typical and it's not any better for Windows users.

I would be very suprised to learn Apple bought any code from NA; McAfee's standard practise in the past has been to buy up any competitor it can and then bury it. Still, since they don't seem to do anything "conventionally", I suppose anything's possible.

This from a company that put a prohibition on reviewing, or commenting publicly in any way regarding the software, in the EULA. The Atourney-General of New York state actually was forced to sue McAfee after they tried to stifle a State employee's recomendation for enterprise AV SW via restricted access eMail. New York prevailed and we can now actually comment on Virex without violating the EULA. *

I could go on, there's more than one skeleton in NA's closet, but I think you get the idea.

As I have said before, the price, thanks to Apple and .Mac, is right. Anyone who is actually paying for a Mac (or Windows) AV solution is well advised to look elsewhere.

* Well, sort of. McAfee agreed to strike the offending restriction from the EULA (only recently, for new versions), and it is invalid in New York State. However, this is the kind of company that would probably attest the provision is still valid in Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
WARNING:
Virex 7.2 overwrites files in Fink's directory (/sw). This was because of a common beginner UNIX programmer's mistake by the Virex developers. The consequence is that Fink is broken and if you try to remove Fink it will break Virex. Fink is an open source package manager, essentially - I use it to run the Gimp, among other things. The Virex developers have been made aware. Luckily, I do not have a computer at this moment - waiting for my powerbook - so I haven't installed Virex 7.2 yet. Phew!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a *legal* copy of virex 7.0. Where do I get the upgrade to 7.2?

TIA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts