Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, can I use a 5K iMac that has a dead or dying logic board as a monitor for a new M1 Mac Mini? We are looking at replacing this iMac here at work and I am trying to save where I can. It is a shame to waste a beautiful screen if it can still be used.

Thanks!

·
peek-a-boo
17,330 Posts
As far as I know, probably not. I only know if target display mode but it only works on a working iMac. Maybe there’s some wiring hack I’m unaware of.

·
Registered
727 Posts
As the title says, can I use a 5K iMac that has a dead or dying logic board as a monitor for a new M1 Mac Mini? We are looking at replacing this iMac here at work and I am trying to save where I can. It is a shame to waste a beautiful screen if it can still be used.

Thanks!
Sadly no.

Any imac with Retina display or better does not support target mode :(

Even as-is your imac is worth $250-$350 on ebay for those who can do the repair. Might be worth just selling before it's worthless.

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts

Thanks!
The 5k still needs to function well enough to connect.

I haven't tried it myself, but some people use Luna Display. It does not currently support 5K displays, but they claim this is imminent. Sells for US$99.

Also some hardware modifications are possible. If the unit is going into the dumpster otherwise, I get pretty bold with trying things like this.

However, if you can get $300 for it as is, as SmashedBanana says...

·
peek-a-boo
17,330 Posts
Sadly no.

Any imac with Retina display or better does not support target mode :(

Even as-is your imac is worth $250-$350 on ebay for those who can do the repair. Might be worth just selling before it's worthless.
Aw damn. I didn't realize target display was discontinued as of retinas. I have a 2017 27 retina that is strictly a pro tools machine, haven't needed to try target mode. The screen is fantastic, though I do plan to swap it out to one of the new Mx MBPs once they release an updated processor and the audio world catches up with it.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So nice of Apple to remove features that make their devices usable when other things go wrong.

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
So nice of Apple to remove features that make their devices usable when other things go wrong.
"User serviceable" are ugly words in today's Apple Lexicon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts