Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the news from a staffer at a retailer in Vancity. Get your wallets ready... I think this might be the price drop that I'm looking for. So what does that mean for Jan's MacXpo?? What's coming out the bag??

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've heard rumor the 10GB will be the entry level iPod.

·
Registered
433 Posts
oooo..... drop down to.... 200 bucks!!! oh MAN i'd love that.

must....aquire....ipod....

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
¡Muy verdad! I guess you would put a laptop drive in the iPod. Does that mean that we can add a 40-60G?? Could be. To be looked into....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpanishJoe:
As always, give things a year, and they become affordable...

Anybody know if the drive in an iPod is commercially available? If so, could you potentially rip it open and stuff a 20 GB drive into it? Hmmm... fantasies of used iPods...

Then again, who would sell their iPod? I know I wouldn't...

-SJ.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
SpanishJoe wrote:
"Anybody know if the drive in an iPod is commercially available?"

The iPod (at least the 5GB model) uses a Toshiba PCMCIA hard drive (source).

You can buy PCMCIA hard drives, but they're pricey; at least half of the cost of the iPod is the hard drive. Plus it looks like Toshiba only sells the 5GB model to end users. I'm sure if you wait a year, though, your options will increase.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As always, give things a year, and they become affordable...

Anybody know if the drive in an iPod is commercially available? If so, could you potentially rip it open and stuff a 20 GB drive into it? Hmmm... fantasies of used iPods...

Then again, who would sell their iPod? I know I wouldn't...

-SJ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Additionally, the iPod uses a 1.8" Toshiba hard drive...those bad boys are only available up to 20 gig, at this point. Only the 2.5" go up to 40 gig.

As usual, I could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.