Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to take the plunge and splurge on a hard drive upgrade for my relatively new Macbook Pro as I am running out of space already. Wondering if anyone has upgraded their hard drive to the following models or to 7200 rpm drives and does it make the notebook louder? hotter? have shorter battery life?

It's between: Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 200GB 7200rpm OR WD Scorpio 250GB 5400rpm.

Travelstar 7K200

WD Scorpio 250 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD2500BEVS )

·
Registered
389 Posts
Performance wise there was a link posted a while back that might have all the relevant numbers (I'm not sure if they tested the exact models and capacities).

On WD scorpio's spec page it list some improvements that make it use less energy (about 60% but I'm sure most of it is marketing so I will be conservative and assume the same power consumption as my current drive). The Hitachi has on the fly disk encryption which you can kinda replicate with File Vault; features like noise and shock protection etc, seem to match up. So the choice eventually comes down to capacity, price and performance.

The WD scorpio (250GB) costs $250 US ($1/GB). The Travelstar 7K200 (200GB) costs $300 US ($1.5/GB). Assuming shipping and handling of about $15 and 14% import duty and a 1.07 exchange rate the difference is about $61. Note: No brokerage fees

Personally, I'd take the WD, I would rather have the extra hard disk capacity for all my media than that extra performance boost (if any or rather if noticeable, considering i will probably have it at about 70%-80% capacity) especially since I don't deal with anything disk intensive.

I haven't seen one of the WD's in Canada, if you can get one let me know.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I always check the xlr8yourmac database when I'm thinking of putting a new drive into one of my Macs.

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/action.lasso?-search

There are (as of 8AM today) 16 reports of MacBook Pro drive swaps.
That link gets this:
No records found.

Error Information

Error Message: The specified database was not found
Error Code: -609

Action: search
Database: --
Table/Layout: --
Response: /drivedb/action.lasso

Logical Operator: and

Client Address: *.*.*.*
Client IP: *.*.*.*
Client Type: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/522.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.2 Safari/522.12
Server Date: Friday, June 29, 2007
Server Time: 11:26:53 AM

·
Premium Member
566 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen one of the WD's in Canada, if you can get one let me know.

Cheers.
I can but your right, they aren't arriving until next week.

Xlr8 doesn't have any reviews on the Hitachi but the WD seems to be positive. Barefeats shows a whopping performance bump with the Hitachi but they say battery performance will suffer, which they have not reported details yet on. WD capacity is nice but I would love to get a performance boost as I'm pretty much max'd out on the ram.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
I got Hitachi's new 7k200 arriving to me tomorrow! So excited to install that puppy in my MBP!
In a month or two, I'll be getting an MBP for video and music editing.
When you've had some to try it out, please let us know what you think of your new Hitachi! :)

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do^ I coulda bought the WD 250gb drive as well..but I opted for speed!
Yes, please do tell as I have not made the plunge yet until I hear more on the Hitachi. Specifically heat and noise...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on what kind of files you are reading. 7200rpm means faster rotation not necessarily faster file retrieval. As the other respondents have suggested follow the specs and tests, but some general guidelines are that mean access time is more useful than higher rotation speed, and more on board cache is always better. Disk access is milliseconds, memory is typically 100s of nanoseconds. The more you can hit the cache, the less amount of seeking your drive does, thus reduced noise, reduced heat and reduced power consumption.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Always go with the fastest drive you can get (and a lot of RAM) so you can get rid of that beach ball.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I bought a 5400RPM Hitachi for my iBook simply because I wanted lower power consumption, and it was less cash outlay since the 7200RPM version was significantly higher. Since I do not use the iBook for rendering very often, the speed difference is not significant to me. I try to conserve as much power when I am in portable operation. I even rejumpered the iBook so it runs at 350MHz when it is in power saving mode, just to eek out extra minutes when I am on the road.

I put a 7200RPM Hitachi into the iMac, and though I do not see any speed difference in loading a file, the drive does not run as long as it did with the old drive I had. I would describe it as being crisper in speed; though I suppose the real limit in speed may be the bus of the computer. The cost difference was not significant between the 5400 and the 7200RPM versions.

I am not a fan of Western Digital; but that does not mean that they are bad drives. I just take advantage of the fact that the company I work for handles Hitachi products, and if I have a problem with any of my drives, I can handle the warrantee myself. I would do a cost per GB comparison and go from there. And pick up a drive enclosure for the old drive. I put my old 10 GB drive in a $10 USB enclosure, and use it all the time as a keychain drive. Maybe it is a little slow, but it does beat the speed and capacity of my jump drive.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought a 5400RPM Hitachi for my iBook simply because I wanted lower power consumption, and it was less cash outlay since the 7200RPM version was significantly higher. Since I do not use the iBook for rendering very often, the speed difference is not significant to me. I try to conserve as much power when I am in portable operation. I even rejumpered the iBook so it runs at 350MHz when it is in power saving mode, just to eek out extra minutes when I am on the road.

I put a 7200RPM Hitachi into the iMac, and though I do not see any speed difference in loading a file, the drive does not run as long as it did with the old drive I had. I would describe it as being crisper in speed; though I suppose the real limit in speed may be the bus of the computer. The cost difference was not significant between the 5400 and the 7200RPM versions.

I am not a fan of Western Digital; but that does not mean that they are bad drives. I just take advantage of the fact that the company I work for handles Hitachi products, and if I have a problem with any of my drives, I can handle the warrantee myself. I would do a cost per GB comparison and go from there. And pick up a drive enclosure for the old drive. I put my old 10 GB drive in a $10 USB enclosure, and use it all the time as a keychain drive. Maybe it is a little slow, but it does beat the speed and capacity of my jump drive.

I remember the days when Hitachi had a bad rep because they acquired IBM's line of harddrives' - the "DeathStars". Those deskstars were one of the worst HardDrives ever made.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I remember the days when Hitachi had a bad rep because they acquired IBM's line of harddrives' - the "DeathStars". Those deskstars were one of the worst HardDrives ever made.
I remember the really old days... When we used to open the lid on the 8" Shugart and spray it down with WD-40 to keep the heads from squealing. Or the year when, if we ordered a Seagate ST-225, they'd send a box of ten and hope we'd have one that worked (we had a closet full of them at the shop). Or the time when IBM was buying Conner Hard Drives, they were truely the worst on the market.

Hitachi is not a comany that sits idle, and their drives are pretty good, perhaps the best, since Quantum left the hard drive market.

I still do not trust Seagate (unless it is a used drive, of which I have had good luck), simply because their warranty coverage never covered any of the failures I had. Like the drive that would lapse to sleep while tossing mail, or the one that would tick like a bomb at random times, or the one with the seized spindle bearing (seized when we received it).

But I still have two of the best drives ever made - the mighty 65 MB Priam, and the 72MB Rodime! Monsters indeed - I could recycle them so that Toyota can build me a new Corolla... However, I am not so old as to remember rotating drum storage (though I did use punched cards and punched tapes, as well as Kansas City format cassette tapes. But I digress. I have had really good luck with the Hitachi drives, as well as the old Maxtor and Toshiba drives that were removed from the systems and still get everyday use as externals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.