Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

$500 off iPhone 3GS if you have a data plan and extend contract for 1 year: Rogers

14K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Commodus 
#1 ·
https://www.rogers.com/web/content/..._iPhone3Gs_0609_Eng-_-3GsPrelaunch_LowerBadge

Do you spend more than $100 per month on Rogers wireless services?

Do you have or would you get a data plan?

Did you buy a Rogers iPhone 3G between July 11 and September 30 last year?

Save $500 on the iPhone 3GS.

Questions and Answers

FAQs for NEW iPhone 3G S

What will be Rogers pricing for the new iPhone 3G S models?
With 3-year voice plan with 3 year data plan

NEW 16GB iPhone 3G S: $199
NEW 32GB iPhone 3G S: $299

Device-only pricing (no term)

NEW 16GB iPhone 3G S: $699
NEW 32GB iPhone 3G S: $799

Rogers.com online pricing - As of June 19th and for a limited time, the below device-only pricing applies if you buy online via Rogers.com

NEW 16GB iPhone 3G S: $680
NEW 32GB iPhone 3G S: $780

Will I still be able to purchase an iPhone 3G?
Yes. See below for pricing.
Term pricing

16GB iPhone 3G: $149 (while supplies last) with a 3-year voice, and 3 year data plan as of June 19th, 2009
8GB iPhone 3G: $99 with a 3-year voice, and 3 year data plan as of June 19th, 2009

Device only pricing

8GB iPhone 3G: $599 as of June 19th
16GB iPhone 3G: no device-only pricing available

Rogers.com online pricing – As of June 19th and for a limited time, the below device-only pricing applies if you buy online via Rogers.com

iPhone 3G 8GB: $580

The iPhone 3G 8GB and 16GB both fully support the new iPhone OS 3.0 software upgrade (please see below for more information on iPhone OS 3.0 and key features). Customers wishing to buy an iPhone 3G can visit their nearest Rogers Plus, Rogers Dealer and wherever Rogers’ smartphones are sold. Click here to find location addresses.

What are the new features of these devices?
Please visit Apple - iPhone - Mobile phone, iPod, and Internet device. for device specifications.

When can I get the new devices?
The new devices will be available on June 19th 2009. Select stores will be open at 8am on June 19th, 2009, please inquire with the store near you to confirm.

Where can I purchase the new devices?
Customers wishing to buy new models can visit their nearest Rogers Plus, Rogers Dealer and wherever Rogers Smartphone’s are sold. Click here to find location addresses.

Will Rogers carry all the new device models?
Yes Rogers will be the Canadian wireless service provider to carry these new devices.
Are there different colours for the new device models?
Yes both models come in Black and White.

Is the new 6GB/$30 promotional plan available for all iPhone customers, new and existing?
The $30/6GB will be available to all iPhone customers starting June 9th 2009. Only available on a 3 Year term and available until July 31st, 2009

If I already have an iPhone 3G from Rogers and wish to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S are there any special offers?
Yes. For a limited time, if you are an existing iPhone customer who does not yet qualify for an upgrade, you will be able to take advantage of the below two offers for upgrading to a new iPhone 3GS.

Offer 1:
If you are an existing Rogers iPhone 3G customer who has minimum tenure of 6 months since your activation/last upgrade, you can receive $250 off the no-term, device-only price, for a new iPhone 3GS provided that you have a data plan and extend your service agreement by 1 year. This offer does not apply for upgrading to an iPhone 3G.
Offer 2:
If you are an existing iPhone 3G customer who activated or upgraded to your iPhone 3G from July 11-Sep 30 2008 and have consistently spent on average of $100 or more each month on your Rogers wireless services you will get $500 off the no-term price of an iPhone 3GS, provided that you have a data plan and extend your service agreement by 1 year. This offer does not apply for upgrading to an iPhone 3G.

No-term Offer 1 Offer 2
iPhone 3G S 16 GB $699 $449 $199
iPhone 3G S 32 GB $799 $549 $299

These offers are available wherever Rogers’ smartphones are sold or by calling Rogers’ customer care. These offers are valid until July 31st.

Is there a limit to the number of iPhone 3GS that I can purchase?
Overwhelming customer feedback indicates there's great demand for iPhone 3G in Canada so to ensure as many Canadians as possible can get one as soon as possible, we are limiting purchase at launch to a maximum of two devices per customer until further notice.

iPhone OS 3.0 Software FAQs
What New Features are Available in Apple’s iPhone OS 3.0 software release?
[The iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update includes some great new features such as MMS, Cut, Copy and Paste, tethering, Spotlight Search and Landscape keyboard, as well as all the features from previous updates. For a complete list of new iPhone OS 3.0 Software features please visit Apple - iPhone - Mobile phone, iPod, and Internet device.

Who should upgrade?
If you have an iPhone 3G you should upgrade to the new iPhone OS 3.0 software. If you have the new iPhone 3G S, the OS will already be 3.0. Upgrading your software is free of charge.

How do I upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0 software (available June 17)?
Connect your iPhone to your computer
Start iTunes, please ensure you have the latest version available from Apple - iPhone - Mobile phone, iPod, and Internet device.
Click on "Check for updates"
Click "OK" to update

What is MMS?
Multi-Media Messaging Service (MMS) messages or Picture/Video messages enable you to send messages that include video, photos, audio, and contact info. Even tap to snap a picture or shoot a video right inside Messages.
Are there Picture/Video messages (MMS) plans available through Rogers?
To get unlimited Picture/Video messages (MMS), upgrade to the new iPhone Value Packs. To learn more go to Redirect to the right page
How to use Picture/Video messages (MMS)?
To learn how to send Picture/Video messages (MMS) once you’ve upgraded to the new 3.0 software go to Apple - iPhone - Send SMS and MMS text messages on iPhone.

Tethering FAQs
What is tethering or wireless modem?
Tethering or wireless modem functionality is the use of your phone (such as your iPhone) as a wireless modem to connect to the internet from your computer. You can connect your phone to your computer through Bluetooth wireless technology or the USB cable provided with your handset.

Can I tether on my iPhone?
To use tethering or wireless modem functionality you require the new iPhone 3G S, or an iPhone 3G that has been upgraded with the new iPhone OS 3.0 software. Until December 31, 2009, if you have subscribed to a data plan which includes at least 1GB of data you may use tethering as part of the volume of data included in your plan at no additional charge. Tethering cannot be used with data plans of less than 1GB.

Will data charges for tethering be free?
No, tethering data usage will come out of your existing data bucket.

When will I be able to tether on my iPhone?
Customers with an iPhone 3G S will be able to tether right away. Customers with an iPhone 3G, will need to upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0 software (which will be available as of June 17th, 2009) and by June 19th, 2009, Rogers systems will have been updated to make tethering fully operational for all eligible iPhone 3G customers.

What will happen on December 31, 2009 when the promotion expires?
Rogers will continue to enable tethering on devices that allow it, but data plans will be adjusted to better reflect the way customers are using tethering services.

How do I tether on my iPhone?
Please visit Apple.com for instructions Apple - iPhone - Share your Internet connection with your laptop.

When I try to setup my phone for tethering by going through the following steps Settings-->General-->Network-->Set-up Internet Tethering, I get the following message “Set Up Internet Tethering. To enable tethering on this account contact Rogers”. What does this mean?

This means that you don’t have the appropriate data plan on your account to support tethering, and require a data plan with at least 1GB worth of data for tethering to be enabled.

#2 ·
It was tempting until I read the part about having to extend your contract for another year.
Besides, I don't spend over $100/mth. so I'd be forking out $449.

Offer 2:
If you are an existing iPhone 3G customer who activated or upgraded to your iPhone 3G from July 11-Sep 30 2008 and have consistently spent on average of $100 or more each month on your Rogers wireless services you will get $500 off the no-term price of an iPhone 3GS, provided that you have a data plan and extend your service agreement by 1 year. This offer does not apply for upgrading to an iPhone 3G.

#3 ·
The $99 (or $100) doesn't all have to be spent on one line:

Rogers twittering rep. said:
RT @RogersKeith: Clarification: $100 monthly spend measured through spend on wireless services. Doesn't have to all be on one phone number

#4 ·
That was my next question, we have 2 iPhones, one is with the 6GB plan (about $74 total) and one is just voice, VVM pkg (about $40), so about $120 for both monthly on one bill.
Yahoo, I'll be getting a new 3GS sooner than I had planned....:D

Funny, I called my closest Rogers store yesterday and they said they are not going to be outright selling them. They told me I'd have to go to the Apple store.
Obviously, they get bucks from the plans they sell.
They just lost any future business from me, even though I dealt with them for both of my present phones...:mad:

#5 ·
Hmmm, suddenly I qualify. That's actually very tempting.

I both hate an love Apple for coming out with new products that make the previous generation look like a piece of garbage in comparison.

Can two iPhones can share the same voice plan, Value Pack, and bucket of minutes? I know there used to be a couples plan, I can never keep up at the rate Rogers changes their rate plans.

#6 ·
This might actually work. My sister broke her 3G screen and I'm not really that comfortable changing it (looks pretty hard and she could be left phone-less). So I could get the 3Gs and give her my 3G... I love getting new stuff and this could be my excuse <insert evil laugh>.

#7 ·
I just talked to a very knowledgeable CSR at Rogers. She said that I do qualify for the 32 iPhone at $299. She also gave me an interaction # as proof of this.

If the Rogers store near me, starts to give me grief about buying the new 3GS outright, she said I can lodge a complaint, which she will send right to the top.
She suggested ordering it through them, but I want it sooner than 5 days or whenever it might get here.

I'd go to the Apple store, but it's just not as convenient as the Rogers store near me. I'm sure there will be a long line up also.:(

#9 ·
Not sure I follow: do you want an outright purchase, or the discounted price? The discount requires contract extension, etc.

I just talked to a very knowledgeable CSR at Rogers. She said that I do qualify for the 32 iPhone at $299. She also gave me an interaction # as proof of this.

If the Rogers store near me, starts to give me grief about buying the new 3GS outright, she said I can lodge a complaint, which she will send right to the top.
She suggested ordering it through them, but I want it sooner than 5 days or whenever it might get here.

I'd go to the Apple store, but it's just not as convenient as the Rogers store near me. I'm sure there will be a long line up also.:(

#11 ·
In that case I hope you've been upgrading every year or two.

For others, the strangest thing I always read involves not wanting to upgrade since that requires a contract extension--meanwhile, they've been customers since forever and always will be.

#14 ·
different terms for Fido? Not fair!

This is what is says on the Fido site:

If I already have an iPhone 3G from Fido and wish to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G S, are there any special offers?

Yes. For a limited time, existing iPhone 3G customers can apply their FidoDollars towards the no-term cost of the iPhone 3G S without subscribing to a data add-on. In addition these customers will receive a $100 FidoDollars Bonus top up towards the purchase of the new iPhone 3G S. This offer is effective June 19 to July 31st, 2009.

How come there's no deal is you spend over $100 per month for Fido customers?

:-(

#19 ·
Seeing I qualify, I am almost tempted to jump on this upgrade offer and extend my contract for another year. I just need to figure out how much I can sell my 3G iPhone for first.

Damn, I hate having upgraditis.

#20 ·
So, as a corporate customer, I waited until July 30 last year to snag the iPhone 3G. Gave them time to work things through as it were.

But today I find myself wanting that upgrade and this killer deal, so... after an hour on the phone with Rogers, starting with Customer Relations (where I always begin), then corporate paid, then corporate reimbursed, then Business Solutions, who hadn't heard of this promotion, back to customer relations and the person I got there hadn't heard either but checked with Business Solutions...

They took off my MSD code which gets me my great rate, but prevents me from getting consumer deals; and assured me no other changes, and I"m supposed to call back in a day to get the iPhone deal, and get the MSD code re-added to the account.

This is how I feel now.

Stop the ride, I want to get off...

#21 ·
I just got off the phone with Fido and they do not offer this deal.
He explained that even though they are the same company they are "in competition" with Rogers (I don't see how) and have different pricing etc.

Their only deal regarding the iPhone is 100$ off the full price if you are an existing customer.

So you can get the iPhone 3Gs for 599$ and 699$ if you are an existing customer.

Has anyone received conflicting/matching information?

#25 ·
I just called and got the same story. By spend is likely $99.98 a month so I know they would find a way to screw me anyway. There is no way I am dropping $699 on a locked phone. Were it unlocked at that price, I would consider it. Who does Fido think they are kidding with not matching Rogers pricing.

#22 ·
and here I had minor dental surgery yesterday and was on drugs so I didn't venture out to the local store to think about upgrading.

my 3G serves me well, but geezus, I like it so much that I want the new one :) lol

i'm going to check my bills b/c i'm sure i'm darn close to $100 per month and I'm sure I bought in September of last year.

And gee, it's father's day :)

#34 ·
so i don't qualify b/c i'm not consistently over the $100, but the last 2 months were and probably the last bill will be over $100 as well. I might call them again and see if they can make an exception. I did like the fact that if someone does qualify, they also get to keep their current 3G. I could sell it for $50 or so (maybe) or use it as a pure ipod touch.

#24 ·
Keep in mind that as with most Rogers announcements, many customer service reps don't know about the information for a week, or unless you direct them to the right webpage:

rogers.com > iPhone > Current Rogers Customers? Find out how you can upgrade

I'd call in, and forget about stores for the upgrade, unless you know the salesperson really well. For some other purposes stores are good, but for upgrades they have no incentive and aren't usually willing to ask for discounts on your behalf. Stores/staff don't work for Rogers; they are completely independent.

#26 ·
Get lower Price and use Fido dollars

Does anyone know the answer to this:

- I am eligible for the lower price because I have a couple of phones with Fido so my monthly bill is greater than $100;
- I have about $110 of Fido dollars accumulated.

Assuming I extend my contract for another year, can I get the the iPhone 3GS for $299 - $110? $189 for the 32 Gig ....

If I can, it would be tempting ....

#30 ·
where are the Rogers bashers now

I am not sensing any excitement, where excitement is due...

Rogers is offering:
early upgrades, iphone with no contract, discount for higher volume users, MMS, tethering...
i know we all bash Rogers, but today they deserve praise!

#38 ·
I tried again.

Kudos to Rogers, I got $500 back on my outright purchase of a 32GB black.*

For all the trepidation when the iPhone 3G was announced, Rogers announced a 6GB/month data plan, and an upgrade plan that included *anyone* who hadn't upgraded in the previous 3 months.

This time, even though their smartphone upgrade minimum is 2 years, if you upgraded last July to September, you get $500 back.

True, if for some reason I wound up not qualifying, I'd be chuffed, as the British say, but...

*+ taxes, go figure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.