ehMac banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got off the phone with Fido and they do not offer this deal.
He explained that even though they are the same company they are "in competition" with Rogers (I don't see how) and have different pricing etc.

Their only deal regarding the iPhone is 100$ off the full price if you are an existing customer.

So you can get the iPhone 3Gs for 599$ and 699$ if you are an existing customer.

Has anyone received conflicting/matching information?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
and here I had minor dental surgery yesterday and was on drugs so I didn't venture out to the local store to think about upgrading.

my 3G serves me well, but geezus, I like it so much that I want the new one :) lol

i'm going to check my bills b/c i'm sure i'm darn close to $100 per month and I'm sure I bought in September of last year.

And gee, it's father's day :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bough my iPhone 3G with the Rogers + 3 years contract on July 11th 2008 and today they told me i wouldn't be able to upgrade until July 11th 2009. :(

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Keep in mind that as with most Rogers announcements, many customer service reps don't know about the information for a week, or unless you direct them to the right webpage:

rogers.com > iPhone > Current Rogers Customers? Find out how you can upgrade

I'd call in, and forget about stores for the upgrade, unless you know the salesperson really well. For some other purposes stores are good, but for upgrades they have no incentive and aren't usually willing to ask for discounts on your behalf. Stores/staff don't work for Rogers; they are completely independent.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I just got off the phone with Fido and they do not offer this deal.
He explained that even though they are the same company they are "in competition" with Rogers (I don't see how) and have different pricing etc.

Their only deal regarding the iPhone is 100$ off the full price if you are an existing customer.

So you can get the iPhone 3Gs for 599$ and 699$ if you are an existing customer.

Has anyone received conflicting/matching information?
I just called and got the same story. By spend is likely $99.98 a month so I know they would find a way to screw me anyway. There is no way I am dropping $699 on a locked phone. Were it unlocked at that price, I would consider it. Who does Fido think they are kidding with not matching Rogers pricing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Get lower Price and use Fido dollars

Does anyone know the answer to this:

- I am eligible for the lower price because I have a couple of phones with Fido so my monthly bill is greater than $100;
- I have about $110 of Fido dollars accumulated.

Assuming I extend my contract for another year, can I get the the iPhone 3GS for $299 - $110? $189 for the 32 Gig ....

If I can, it would be tempting ....

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just called and got the same story. By spend is likely $99.98 a month so I know they would find a way to screw me anyway. There is no way I am dropping $699 on a locked phone. Were it unlocked at that price, I would consider it. Who does Fido think they are kidding with not matching Rogers pricing.
It's cheaper to pay your ECF with Fido and sign on as a new Rogers customer with a new contract than it is to buy the phone with their $100 off deal, unless you have some huge amount of Fido Dollars accumulated...

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about this deal.
Does anyone have a sense of the value of used 3G phones on the used market?

·
Registered
75 Posts
where are the Rogers bashers now

I am not sensing any excitement, where excitement is due...

Rogers is offering:
early upgrades, iphone with no contract, discount for higher volume users, MMS, tethering...
i know we all bash Rogers, but today they deserve praise!

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's cheaper to pay your ECF with Fido and sign on as a new Rogers customer with a new contract than it is to buy the phone with their $100 off deal, unless you have some huge amount of Fido Dollars accumulated...
I have $50 in Fido dollars, can't I apply that to one of my Bills and then cancel ? I wonder if I can apply Fido dollars to the ECF? I really don't care who I am with. I may even do better with Rogers as I may get an additional discount due to the fact that I can get a discount for having both Rogers Internet and the cell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do agree... for once Rogers is doing something nice!

But I don't qualify personally for the promo because I am on a corporate plan...

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I do agree... for once Rogers is doing something nice!

But I don't qualify personally for the promo because I am on a corporate plan...
Well, same here for now. Last year it took a few weeks for them to open up for corporate customers and this year that means we're still in time for the promotion. It's not over yet.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
and here I had minor dental surgery yesterday and was on drugs so I didn't venture out to the local store to think about upgrading.

my 3G serves me well, but geezus, I like it so much that I want the new one :) lol

i'm going to check my bills b/c i'm sure i'm darn close to $100 per month and I'm sure I bought in September of last year.

And gee, it's father's day :)
so i don't qualify b/c i'm not consistently over the $100, but the last 2 months were and probably the last bill will be over $100 as well. I might call them again and see if they can make an exception. I did like the fact that if someone does qualify, they also get to keep their current 3G. I could sell it for $50 or so (maybe) or use it as a pure ipod touch.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
so i don't qualify b/c i'm not consistently over the $100, but the last 2 months were and probably the last bill will be over $100 as well. I might call them again and see if they can make an exception. I did like the fact that if someone does qualify, they also get to keep their current 3G. I could sell it for $50 or so (maybe) or use it as a pure ipod touch.
There are *lots* of reports of exceptions being made. Try again.

Oh, and the days of 'having' to give back your current phone to get an upgrade are long, long gone--7 or 8 years on Rogers. If your dealer took back your phone in that time, it was to sell it or use it as a loaner. Before that time, before GSM, the phone was useless without an ESN activation anyways, but since GSM started, really, you bought it, it's yours. *Don't* let a dealer take the phone you bought saying it's part of their upgrade policy: it isn't. These days, it's basically theft.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
There are *lots* of reports of exceptions being made. Try again.

Oh, and the days of 'having' to give back your current phone to get an upgrade are long, long gone--7 or 8 years on Rogers. If your dealer took back your phone in that time, it was to sell it or use it as a loaner. Before that time, before GSM, the phone was useless without an ESN activation anyways, but since GSM started, really, you bought it, it's yours. *Don't* let a dealer take the phone you bought saying it's part of their upgrade policy: it isn't. These days, it's basically theft.
Thanks However. I might try again. Not sure yet. I just checked my bill and I was right...over $100 again. :)

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I tried again.

Kudos to Rogers, I got $500 back on my outright purchase of a 32GB black.*

For all the trepidation when the iPhone 3G was announced, Rogers announced a 6GB/month data plan, and an upgrade plan that included *anyone* who hadn't upgraded in the previous 3 months.

This time, even though their smartphone upgrade minimum is 2 years, if you upgraded last July to September, you get $500 back.

True, if for some reason I wound up not qualifying, I'd be chuffed, as the British say, but...

*+ taxes, go figure

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I tried again.

Kudos to Rogers, I got $500 back on my outright purchase of a 32GB black.*

For all the trepidation when the iPhone 3G was announced, Rogers announced a 6GB/month data plan, and an upgrade plan that included *anyone* who hadn't upgraded in the previous 3 months.

This time, even though their smartphone upgrade minimum is 2 years, if you upgraded last July to September, you get $500 back.

True, if for some reason I wound up not qualifying, I'd be chuffed, as the British say, but...

*+ taxes, go figure
You spend over 100/month on your bill?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts