Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone's interested in Mailplane, send me a PM, and leave your Name and email address. I have 5 invites to give away.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Just wondering, why would this program be better than Apple Mail through IMAP to Gmail or just plain using a Web browser?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wondering, why would this program be better than Apple Mail through IMAP to Gmail or just plain using a Web browser?
Well first off Gmail doesn't support IMAP (unless they changed that and haven't updated their help section), secondly for people like myself who have multiple gmail accounts, it gets annoying to have to login in and out to get my email, especially when my girlfriend checks her mail when she's over here.

BTW, 3 invites left.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Well first off Gmail doesn't support IMAP (unless they changed that and haven't updated their help section), secondly for people like myself who have multiple gmail accounts, it gets annoying to have to login in and out to get my email, especially when my girlfriend checks her mail when she's over here.

BTW, 3 invites left.
I've used Gmail with IMAP for the last couple years. No issues with logging in and out and all that stuff if you set up Apple Mail to use Gmail. I only use one Gmail account, but I have about 6 IMAP accounts on various servers and it works just fine.

CORRECTION: I'd forgotten that I'm POPing the mail down to a local server from Gmail and using IMAP to it. I do this with my ISP as well. GMAIL doesn't support IMAP. Man, that's shocking. I can't believe they still don't.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used Gmail with IMAP for the last couple years. No issues with logging in and out and all that stuff if you set up Apple Mail to use Gmail. I only use one Gmail account, but I have about 6 IMAP accounts on various servers and it works just fine.
Here's a quote from Gmail Help.
Gmail doesn't currently support IMAP access. As part of our ongoing commitment to give our users easy access to their email, we have introduced POP access. We look forward to announcing other new features as they become available.
If you indeed have managed to access Gmail through IMAP, please post instructions here. Anyways, I too use Apple Mail to access my Gmail, but I have to logging in via a browser from time to time when I don't have my MacBook with me, and I personally hate seeing everything in my inbox, hence I sort everything twice, one in Apple Mail, once in Gmail. And yes, I have OCD when it comes to sorting my email.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts

BTW, 3 invites left.
HI,

Back in this thread we were talking about Gmail and IMAP. Turns out GMail now supports IMAP for real.

Supported IMAP Client List

·
Registered
781 Posts

BTW, 3 invites left.
When I was running multiple GMail accounts, I set all of them to forward into one, and then set up labels to sort by... didn't help when I wanted to send an email from one of the other accounts, but it made checking email a lot easier. I now use Apple Mail and really like it. :)

What's the difference between POP and IMAP? I've always used POP, no problems...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI,

Back in this thread we were talking about Gmail and IMAP. Turns out GMail now supports IMAP for real.

Supported IMAP Client List
Yea, they turned on IMAP support recently... too bad the service hasn't reached my account yet.

Demosthenes X said:
When I was running multiple GMail accounts, I set all of them to forward into one, and then set up labels to sort by... didn't help when I wanted to send an email from one of the other accounts, but it made checking email a lot easier. I now use Apple Mail and really like it.

What's the difference between POP and IMAP? I've always used POP, no problems...
IMAP is on server, so you have access your email on multiple clients and everything will be synced since it's direct service access. Whereas POP downloads the emails to your computer. Well, that's how I understand it.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have IMAP on my Gmail account but I'm not sure I fully understand it. In the past I've been using POP to gather mail from 3 different accounts into my Gmail account. Then, I use POP to bring it into Apple Mail.

Having enabled IMAP, in Apple Mail, I notice a IMAP Account Inbox and a IMAP Account with a globe icon next to it.

I'm assuming the Inbox is my Gmail messages downloaded onto my hard drive. And, I assume the globe icon means I am directly connected to Gmail over an IMAP connection. Am I correct?

Any good IMAP references that I could read up on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.