Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering if the G5's built-in sound card support dolby digital 5.1.

My current PC has a audigy sound card that does and a special audio technology called EAX ( http://www.eax.creative.com/advanceeax.asp ) which most windows games support for four speaker surround sound.

Is there such a audio technology for Mac gaming? Does the mac G5 sound card support something like this?

I'd hate to buy some nice klipsch 5.1 speakers when I buy my G5 and not get anything out of the rear speakers. :D

-sb

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The built-in sound in any G5 does not support surround sound without hardware help. Unless you use a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card or Sonica Theater, you cannnot get surround sound from the G5. The only other option is to use the Optical-Out (not Analog) jack and hook it up to your external receiver (from your stereo or something) that supports surround sound and then hook your speakers up to the receiver. Or, if you own supported Dolby Digital & DTS Hardware Decoding (and THX Certified) speakers, such as these Logitech ones, you can use your G5's Optical-Out (not Analog) with a fibre (I think) digital cable to enable true surround sound and hook the cable up to the subwoofer of these mentioned speakers above.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually, Lars, I think the answer would be yes and no, the built-in audio card does support 5.1 surround sound and can output it, but you need an external decoder to decode it. Like Lars said, to use it you have to use the optical out jack and connect to an external receiver with 5.1 surround sound or get special speakers.

As for the audio software technology that supports 5.1 surround sound in games and other apps, that would be OpenAL (sounds similar to OpenGL, the Mac's 3D graphic technnology).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Lars and Kosh.

"As for the audio software technology that supports 5.1 surround sound in games and other apps, that would be OpenAL"

Is it safe to assume this technology is standard on Mac Games?

"(sounds similar to OpenGL, the Mac's 3D graphic technnology)."

Picky Mode ON: SGI, not Apple created OpenGL. http://www.sgi.com/software/opengl/

-sb

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
As for the audio software technology that supports 5.1 surround sound in games and other apps, that would be OpenAL"

Is it safe to assume this technology is standard on Mac Games?
No - only a few Mac games, such as UT2k3 (and the original UT), Alien Vs. Predator and a few others support true surround sound.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
No - only a few Mac games, such as UT2k3 (and the original UT), Alien Vs. Predator and a few others support true surround sound.
Yes, there are only a few games with OpenAL support. Lars has mentioned a few. I thought Quake III supported it, but maybe it doesn't. Apparently the game America's Army supports it since Ryan Gordon works on it (he's the guy who programmed UT2003 and who does some work on OpenAL).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts