Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 5,1 cMP and 24" cinema display on the weekend. It'a 2012 stock 3.2 quad core, 1TB HDD, 8G (4x2g) ram and Radeon 1g video card.
I have installed an SSD for the main drive running High Sierra and don't plan on going newer with an OS.
My question is if I don't plan to overwork it - surfing, older games etc. - would it be worth it to upgrade the ram at all? I have a line on some OWC 3x8g ECC 1066 ram for $60Can.
Computer Personal computer Table Computer monitor Peripheral

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double check the banking. I don't think you can use 3 modules. Also check speeds/specs of existing ram (if keeping). Don't think you can mix.
Thanks for the heads up!
After checking Apples website on replacing the ram, it says I can use 2,3 or 4 in my single CPU quad core, but in specific slots if not 4.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correctly for a triple channel machine use 3 or it drops to dual channel but it's very minor gain.

Processor upgrades are inexpensive for that model.
Thanks MacDoc, are there any specific processors you would recommend?
I installed the three OWC 8gb ram sticks and it runs quite well now. My game loads faster than it did on the 2008 8core I just sold that had the 48gb ram!

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a number of people who do while-you-wait processor upgrades on kijiji:

But MacDoc will have a better handle on whether $200 is a fair price.
Thanks Macfury, if I was still back in Hamilton I would highly consider it, but now living in New Brunswick it is a bit too far to be a choice lol.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could be back by evening...
Sure yep I could, drove straight from Hamilton to Bouctouche (north of Moncton) and then back same weekend when looking at homes here. Problem is the cost in gas for my F150 there and back would be too much right now lol.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is doing what you want then you don't really need a processor upgrade.
Any processor trays up to 3.33 12 core will slide right in but you have to consider that any M1 will run circles around it.
As much as I would love an M1, the budget just isn't there. And yes It turns out it actually is doing what I want, I lucked out when I bought this 2012 as I got it for a steal I think. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts