Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 5,1 cMP and 24" cinema display on the weekend. It'a 2012 stock 3.2 quad core, 1TB HDD, 8G (4x2g) ram and Radeon 1g video card.
I have installed an SSD for the main drive running High Sierra and don't plan on going newer with an OS.
My question is if I don't plan to overwork it - surfing, older games etc. - would it be worth it to upgrade the ram at all? I have a line on some OWC 3x8g ECC 1066 ram for $60Can.
Computer Personal computer Table Computer monitor Peripheral

·
Premium Member
43,050 Posts
My main machine is still a 2010 5,1 Quad Core running Mojave with an RX 580 8GB card and SSD for main drive. I'm running three Cinemas, a 30", a 27 and a 23". I ran this for some time on 8GB and upgraded to 16GB on a (cheap) whim. Can't say I noticed much difference. Probably my heaviest lifting is working with large Photoshop files of 80 GB. I still play some older games, with no lag.

Reactions: kelman

·
Registered
754 Posts
Double check the banking. I don't think you can use 3 modules. Also check speeds/specs of existing ram (if keeping). Don't think you can mix.

Reactions: kelman

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double check the banking. I don't think you can use 3 modules. Also check speeds/specs of existing ram (if keeping). Don't think you can mix.
Thanks for the heads up!
After checking Apples website on replacing the ram, it says I can use 2,3 or 4 in my single CPU quad core, but in specific slots if not 4.

·
Premium Member
31,031 Posts
Correctly for a triple channel machine use 3 or it drops to dual channel but it's very minor gain.

Processor upgrades are inexpensive for that model.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correctly for a triple channel machine use 3 or it drops to dual channel but it's very minor gain.

Processor upgrades are inexpensive for that model.
Thanks MacDoc, are there any specific processors you would recommend?
I installed the three OWC 8gb ram sticks and it runs quite well now. My game loads faster than it did on the 2008 8core I just sold that had the 48gb ram!

·
Premium Member
43,050 Posts
There are a number of people who do while-you-wait processor upgrades on kijiji:

But MacDoc will have a better handle on whether $200 is a fair price.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a number of people who do while-you-wait processor upgrades on kijiji:

But MacDoc will have a better handle on whether $200 is a fair price.
Thanks Macfury, if I was still back in Hamilton I would highly consider it, but now living in New Brunswick it is a bit too far to be a choice lol.

·
Premium Member
31,031 Posts
If it is doing what you want then you don't really need a processor upgrade.
Any processor trays up to 3.33 12 core will slide right in but you have to consider that any M1 will run circles around it.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is doing what you want then you don't really need a processor upgrade.
Any processor trays up to 3.33 12 core will slide right in but you have to consider that any M1 will run circles around it.
As much as I would love an M1, the budget just isn't there. And yes It turns out it actually is doing what I want, I lucked out when I bought this 2012 as I got it for a steal I think. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts