Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MacPro

Sorry I am no longer able to discuss this matter as per legal agreement with Apple

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if Apple needs to increase the fan speed of the fans in the CPU/memory part of the Mac Pro by just a bit to keep it cooler. I've heard of a few people doing this through a PC utility.

I've had my own Mac Pro kernel panic lately - giving a message with fbd memory error in the panic log and metioning the Apple IO Kit. It's happened only once or twice and BOINC with SETI was running at the time. So I'm wondering if the memory was getting a little too hot. I ran the Apple Hardware Test and it didn't detect anything. I'm thinking of keeping an eye on the temperature (I have Hardware Monitor installed), and maybe running another memory test if it happens again.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I keep my MacPro 24/7 always running, churning various services in the background, compiling things over night, etc... According to iStat Pro, my CPU's have rarely been any hotter than 35° and my disk are steady at 29°. What does concern me however is that my northbridge is about 74°, when I've read it shouldn't be more than 55°.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Well, I solved my fbd ecc error kernel panics. Since I've installed smcFanControl about a week ago, and increased the fan speed by 200-300 rpms I haven't had a kernel panic, even when running BOINC (SETI) for over 24 hours.

I think I will just check the RAM, etc, just to make sure things are installed correctly. Maybe there is a loose heatsink or something. Or maybe Apple just didn't calibrate the fans properly.

Man a dual 3.0 Mac Pro zooms through SETI tasks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
with macbook pro's (mainly first gen 1.83ghz - 2ghz) experience the heat issues. the main issue is that there is just far too much thermal paste on them. sometimes the heat sensors are also faulty (little things under the fans if you open it up).

If you decide to change the amnount of thermal paste, do not put a very small amount on or your fans will constantly spin. you still need a good gob, but less than what apple puts on.

Is why i buy refurbished units now though, because i usually end up with one that has been fixed up. if not i just fix em myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts