Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MacPro

Sorry I am no longer able to discuss this matter as per legal agreement with Apple

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
What are you doing is the better question! ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe a more specific question would help !

Sorry I am no longer able to discuss this matter as per legal agreement with Apple

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Forgot

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Those memory temps are about 15 degrees C higher than the ones I am accustomed to seeing reported under load. People are saying 74C normal load and 85C maximum when stress testing the RAM.

Something you are doing is pushing the machine harder than the heaviest uses I have come across. What are the drive temps?

If you have gone through drives and RAM on 4 machines, then the common factors are the usage and or the environment. It can't be simply a problem endemic to the MacPro model, because we're not seeing other people with this degree of problems, even customers who are doing 8 hour renders in Final Cut Pro.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Any chance you've been using 1 gig or 2 gig modules??

I have a hard time convincing clients that using 512s so that there are multiple heatsinks is actually a better route......and especially not using 2 gig modules over 1 gig for higher RAM populations.

The more heatsink the better in the MacPros.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ram and HD's

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Try, what I did, install the menu item smcFanControl 2.x (don't use the 1.x) and speed up your fans on the CPU/memory and exhaust and see if that gets rid of your ECC errors. I've been getting a few ECC errors when I run BOINC and SETI on my Mac Pro and I'm going to see if upping the fan speed gets rid of them. I tried AHT and it didn't report a problem.

I think Apple may have calibrated the fans slightly less than they need. But I'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
That's a good idea, I have been always surprised how little fan activity there is given how hot that ram subsystem gets.
It's brutal in there when you open one up yet the fans never seem to come on..

I think Kosh may be on to something.

Give us feedback on this. TIA

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
It's located here http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html if you want to give it a try. It says it can't harm your system as you can't set the fan speed lower than the Apple minimum and it doesn't override the automatic setting of Apple (the fans will increase according to Apples spec). Your basically raising the lower limit. I got the suggestion from this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=311825 I'm using it in conjunction with Hardware Monitor (monitors temps and other things).

I don't know if you have to reset it after restarting the machine.

I find it strange that so many Mac Pros would have ECC errors. I'm not saying some of Apple's RAM couldn't be bad or there couldn't be a bad sensor, but on 4 Mac Pros?

edit: I read the post too fast and missed the hard drives going bad. You may want to up the fan speed there too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts