Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a dual 1.8 GHz PPC G5 with 2GB DDR SDRAM.
I have just come across a brand new problem for me...

I have a 4GB Kingston USB 2.0 flash drive and it has been nothing but good to me up until now.
I just recently changed the icon image to a custom one and I ejected the drive and walked to my co-workers office to show him. When I plugged it into his Macbook Pro, it came up as a USB Overcurrent error. We tried it a couple of times, but to no avail.
I then went back to my office and tried to plug it back into my tower and when I did that, not only was it not recognized, but it caused my mouse and keyboard to stop working.
Now I have a 4GB flash drive that might not be any good to me. :(

Has anyone else encountered this problem before?
Is there a way to "fix" this issue?
What could be the cause of this new problem?
:confused:

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

After getting home from work, I plugged the USB drive into my keyboard port at home (iMac G5) and it said that the device was drawing too much power and it shut down.
After that, I decided to try it plugged into an extension plugged into the back of the iMac - the drive started to heat up and melt!

Guess I have to go get a new USB flash drive. :(

If anybody knows why this might have occurred so I can prevent it from happening in the future, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds interesting, How exactly did it melt down?
Never heard of a flash drive causing so many problems,
Who makes it? How long have you had it?
It was a Kingston Data Traveler 4GB that I have had about 5/6 months.
After it fried, I opened it up and it appears that the internal processor was what started cooking first.

I used it quite a bit for everything from transferring files from computer to computer as well as watching movies through my USB in on my DVD player.

I'll just go buy a new drive and upgrade to the 8GB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.