Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Looking to get rid of my iPhone. Located in Ottawa. Comes with original box, it is unlocked (hardware unlock) and currently on the Rogers network. There is a small scratch on the casing but does not effect the phone whatsoever.

Asking $400 plus shipping.

Cheers
Das

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
OK people, calm down. While I don't agree with the fact that the poster is listing a for sale item in the forums instead of the classifieds, we can't all just be writing nonsense in response.

Yes, they are $299 brand new, BUT not available in Ottawa, and PLUS taxes. $299 + 8.5% US tax + 14% Canadian tax + $40 gas back and forth from Ottawa = $409. So his price is pretty fair. If you can get it for $299 tax free, no gas, no hassle, then you should go get it.

A7

·
Registered
63 Posts
No offend intended, but IMHO, the recent turn of events (Cdn$ achieving parity with US$ and the availability of iPhone unlocking solutions) make it hard for early iPhone owners to sell theirs.

If I had the money, I would be quite tempted to get one from across the border too.:)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a7mc - OK, fair points. Asking $400 for a scratched second-hand 4g iPhone, though...

Anyway, about the 14% - so Customs charge you for PST and GST despite the fact that you pay sales tax in the US? Jeez... Is there duty payable? I guess not.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
My bad... didn't notice there was a scratch. I agree the price should be lower then.

And yes, not only do they charge PST and GST on top of the US tax, but they base it on the total, INCLUDING the US tax! No duty or any other charges, unless it is shipped to you... then you pay a $5 handling fee too.

A7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heheh, man, that's crazy - I can't believe they charge PST on something purchased out of province! They don't do that when I bring stuff back from Quebec... (mind you they probably would if they could...)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I guess we've taken this thread far enough OT now. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.