Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a retail designer using Form-Z on a Mac and was just curious to know of anyone else outthere in ehMac land who does the same kind of thing ?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I do a lot of 3d illustration. Mostly using ElectricImage, as well as PiXELS:3d, Strata on occasion.

I'm in the process of branchin out and learning Cinema4D and Wings3D when time permits.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really wanted to get into EI at my old company, by they went under so I never got the chance to give it a whirl. I know the renderings can be amazing, but how is the modelling in that ?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
ElectricImage is a great tool, although the character animation tools are a work in progress... but getting better with each release. The modeler is good, however it has idiosyncrasies that frustrate even the most experienced user.

I've been working on the dvGarage version of ElectricImage (no limits except 3rd party plug-ins are disabled). It's got a nice render quality to it... and fast. I have several copies for sale ($50 each) for OS 9 and X... trying to get rid of the upgraded version I've collected over the years. Lots of animator/modeler tutorials and such for beginner to intermediate (some are in PDF format, some are in QT which is nice).

Maya PLE is another app I'm trying to jump to as well.

I started out of Alias Sketch! 3D on the Mac... whatta app that was.
I didn't really have any formal training other than the Multimedia instructor showing us what the buttons did in Strata3d... I pretty much had to take it from there to learn anything.

One of the things I'd like to see more of on the Mac is Flash support. Currently (AFAIK) the only apps that support Flash are Strata and Amorphium... as well as Swish3d which the interface is kind of... er, crappy. Very un-3d-like.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the work I do is more design/manufacture rather than design/print. So finding a balance between good rendering quality and output for manufature is an an issue for me. I love FormZ's modelling capabilities, especially in an industry where things constantly change. It lacks abit on both the rendering front and drafting side. Anyone had any experience with Mac CAD packages ?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
From what I've read and heard, Form*Z is one of the best modelers you can get. The interface is a wee bit challenging to get your head around, but well worth it.

If it was for the price, I would have bought it a while ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts