Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, the only resolutions that seem to fill the screen on a 30" display seems to be 2560 x 1600 and 1280 x 800. Why don't the other resolutions fill the screen instead of leaving a border around the screen?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Kosh said:
Why don't the other resolutions fill the screen instead of leaving a border around the screen?
Physically impossible. If it didn't leave a border, there wouldn't be enough pixels (at lower resolutions) to go the full length of the LCD panel - in that case, the resolution (or the pixels) would stretch, making images and text completely distorted. (AFAIK.) The ratio of the other resolutions also probably aren't the WS ratio of the display itself, which would leave borders on the sides if selected (the same way WS DVD's leave top and bottom borders if watched on a non-WS (w. the same ratio) TV screen).

But... why do you want to run the 30-inch display at a lower-than-native pixel resolution?

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
It's your video card doing any limiting - all resolutions fill my Dell 30" with the 1900XT card with the exception of those specifically 4:3 which leaves the typical black bars on the sides of a 16:9 screen.

Any 16:9 or any stretched resolution fills the screen.
Any 4:3 does not.

Stretch is quite normal as a choice - any HiDef owner gets used to it as many commercials end up that way and sometimes watching a 4:3 stretched full screen is preferable to the black bars.
It's easy to read and the eyes adjust to the picture alteration quite quickly.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... I guess I'll see what happens when my Mac Pro with the X1900XT gets here. I would think the X800XT would behave similar to the X1900XT except for 3D, but who knows. Pictures look great at the native resolution of 2560 x 1600 and I can game at the other resolution of 1280 x 800, but it would be nice if 1920 x 1200 or 2048 x 1280 would fill the screen as it's nice to have larger text. Don't want to strain the eyes with all the time I spend in front of a computer. I thought I might find a non-native resolution that would have reasonably larger text and yet not be too blurry. I'm used to LCDs that when you change the resolution, they scale to fit the screen.

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
You really need to stay at native resolution then adjust your icons and text sizes to fit that. You may also be too far away from the monitor.

Going off native for text is a non-starter.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You really need to stay at native resolution then adjust your icons and text sizes to fit that.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I think that's what I'm going to do when the Mac Pro gets here... it shipped this afternoon. Should be here later this week. I plan to start it from fresh rather than copying everything over. I'll slowly add applications and set up my prefs. I can always use my PM G5 to do things if the Mac Pro isn't ready yet. Leopard may also help.

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
It's more than ready. Wonderful boxes.
Do the migration - much easier than from scratch.
You don't want to think about Leopard - new OSes are disasters.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do the migration - much easier than from scratch.
I did that last time, and while I was pleased with the migration and result, I think it's time for a fresh start.

There's stuff I really don't want moved over and I don't mind taking my time moving things over. Besides I know where the stuff is that I want to keep and it's not like I have tons of applications.

I even plan on installing the MacOS fresh on a Raptor HD.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, the Radeon X1900XT on the Mac Pro does scaling for the 30" HD display. Any resolution that I pick now fills the screen. 1920 x 1200 comes out full screen and looks beautiful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts