Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to install this 500G SSD in the next few days and will be partitioning the drive -1st time EVAR.

I need 2 partitions for sure but wondering if the 3 might make sense.

1. I used to play around w/ music software, so I wanted to create a partition for that alone. prob like 250-300G

2. Will also create a partition to use to do some dev work. Simple coding with a bit of room for Adobe and a few other apps. idk 125-150G?

3. I want to create a smallish partition to install beta OSs for testing among some other items. But this would be the smallest and least significant of the partitions. The rest.

Are 3 too much?? AM I complicating things for no reason??

any wisdom to best my way before I get this going this week??

Thanks a mil.

H!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Three makes sense, but you might want more if you're using multiple operating systems.

1) Primary operating system

2) Stripped down version of the primary operating system. Boot to this for troubleshooting, if something starts going funny with the primary operating system.

3) Alternative operating system. Maybe a newer version to try out, before making it your main operating system. The alternative might also be an older system that has some needed compatibility with older hardware or software.

4) Data partition.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
It works nicely.. just remember that the 1st partition in your scheme should be the boot drive- since that is the drive that will have the efi recovery.
I have 2 partitions on my SSD, plus I have a 128GB Flash SDXC for scratch etc.

You will be fine.. If you want to really manage your partitions by block size copying and 'file type' for speed purposes have a look at soft raid -it works well.
SoftRAID
i use it on everything from my externals to my internals, also my servers.. it will give you an exact life span of your drive and externals.

·
Premium Member
16,091 Posts
Draw out a sketch of the SSD with what you want or plan and what sizes you anticipate and it will make things clearer for how many partitions you may want and the size of each. It often makes things clearer than just thinking about it. ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Draw out a sketch of the SSD with what you want or plan and what sizes you anticipate and it will make things clearer for how many partitions you may want and the size of each. It often makes things clearer than just thinking about it. ;)
+1

I should show you my doodles from work. You might lol. But ya, i've been jotting it all down trying to figure out what might be best.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It works nicely.. just remember that the 1st partition in your scheme should be the boot drive- since that is the drive that will have the efi recovery.
I have 2 partitions on my SSD, plus I have a 128GB Flash SDXC for scratch etc.

You will be fine.. If you want to really manage your partitions by block size copying and 'file type' for speed purposes have a look at soft raid -it works well.
SoftRAID
i use it on everything from my externals to my internals, also my servers.. it will give you an exact life span of your drive and externals.
Thanks for that - esp the boot drive gem. Had no idea. 1/2 of me feels I should maybe remove the optical for more space - and maybe even an internal back up - But The way I plan to use this, I don't see this filling up TOO quickly.

Why the sep scratch?? Is your drive too small at current?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Three makes sense, but you might want more if you're using multiple operating systems.

1) Primary operating system

2) Stripped down version of the primary operating system. Boot to this for troubleshooting, if something starts going funny with the primary operating system.

3) Alternative operating system. Maybe a newer version to try out, before making it your main operating system. The alternative might also be an older system that has some needed compatibility with older hardware or software.

4) Data partition.
I originally was thinking of using 10.6.8 for the music partition, Mavs for the dev one and the last one for the 10.10.3 that I believe they have floating around in beta. But I might make it more a Mavs, Mavs, YoS beta.

What is the smallest bootable partition again?? I think MacDoc had it going on a 32GB flash drive no? Maybe 2 32G parts - one for emergencies and one for beta maybe... Need to sketch it out. ;)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Thanks for that - esp the boot drive gem. Had no idea. 1/2 of me feels I should maybe remove the optical for more space - and maybe even an internal back up - But The way I plan to use this, I don't see this filling up TOO quickly.

Why the sep scratch?? Is your drive too small at current?
I have an internal 512 GB SSD - which I partitioned into 2 - main drive with apps, music, photos.
2nd partition - is all my work and main catalogs of photos, work etc.
the 128GB is my staging drive, junk files and download drive - so i don't defrag, waste the main drive - also if anything happens I can easily reformat, without worrying I have to back up files.
Plus I use the 128GB to test out my drive apps.. like soft raid, drive genius etc.

i guess the real answer is : everyone is crazy in their own way. that is what makes us unique. :D

What is the smallest bootable partition again?? I think Macintosh Doctor had it going on a 32GB flash drive no? Maybe 2 32G parts - one for emergencies and one for beta maybe... Need to sketch it out. ;)

Thanks.
I managed to get 10.10.1 on to a 22.82GB Partition but that leaves only 5.5GB free. so be careful. Basically you need 18GBs for the basic OS and apps.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an internal 512 GB SSD - which I partitioned into 2 - main drive with apps, music, photos.
2nd partition - is all my work and main catalogs of photos, work etc.
the 128GB is my staging drive, junk files and download drive - so i don't defrag, waste the main drive - also if anything happens I can easily reformat, without worrying I have to back up files.
Plus I use the 128GB to test out my drive apps.. like soft raid, drive genius etc.

i guess the real answer is : everyone is crazy in their own way. that is what makes us unique. :D

I managed to get 10.10.1 on to a 22.82GB Partition but that leaves only 5.5GB free. so be careful. Basically you need 18GBs for the basic OS and apps.
Oooohhh... a staging drive. That sounds delightful. I might have to throw that into the mix. Great info. THANKS.

·
Premium Member
16,091 Posts
Don't forget with installing multiple OS X versions on the SSD that you can end up with multiple copiers of "Rescue HD" each taking up about 650MB-1GB drive space, and SSD use expensive drive real-estate.

Disk Utility can be easily configured to show all volumes, including all normally invisible stuff you don't always need. ;)

And of course all the GBs of surplus normally unneeded language folders as well… ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't forget with installing multiple OS X versions on the SSD that you can end up with multiple copiers of "Rescue HD" each taking up about 650MB-1GB drive space, and SSD use expensive drive real-estate.

Disk Utility can be easily configured to show all volumes, including all normally invisible stuff you don't always need. ;)

And of course all the GBs of surplus normally unneeded language folders as well;)
indeed.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts

And of course all the GBs of surplus normally unneeded language folders as well… ;)
when you reformat and partition your SSD.. EFI / recovery is removed.. that is what I did..
when I reinstalled the OS from one of my keys - it only installed the OS.
then I have a bunch of 'service' USB 3.0 Keys of 10.10.x-10.9.x-10.8.x-10.7.x for various macs and services that I need..
Plus i have a startech USB 7 port 3.0 hub.. that hides everything under my desk..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts