Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my early 2008 iMac needs a new RAM card I think. One 2GB was replaced under warranty but that has since expired. Should I get another of the same and try installing it myself? Both say "ok" in 'about my mac' but the hardware test does not appear if I hold down the D key when I start it up. I've had 12 kernel panics in the last 3 days, so I guess it won't heal itself.:confused: Does any one have a suggestion?

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
I'd also suggest trying and booting up cold and using Safe Boot Mode.

At least that would eliminate any goofy non-Apple extensions. And also run Disk Utility to Repair permissions and Verify disk.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I'd also suggest trying and booting up cold and using Safe Boot Mode.

At least that would eliminate any goofy non-Apple extensions. And also run Disk Utility to Repair permissions and Verify disk.
...seriously? Stop giving out bad advice. Permission and extension issues will NOT cause 3 beeps.

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
Really??? Then I suggest you get in touch with The X Lab and let them know and maybe get them to correct their info!!!

Resolving Kernel Panics

General causes of kernel panics
Kernel panics are often caused by one or more of the following issues. ie:

- Incompatible, obsolete, or corrupted kernel extensions.
- Incorrect permissions on System-related files or folders.
etc. etc.

Or do you consider they don't know what they're taking about.

It seems to me from what the OP posted, he can boot normally and then get a kernel panic, and then after the next restart he can get the 3 beeps.

One would think that if the RAM were really bad and didn't pass its test, the three beeps would happen all the time, and especially with doing a cold boot.

Or maybe this guy was incorrect as well, and found the cause to be a dirty logic board!!!
MacBook Problem with 3 beeps (bad ram banks) Fix / Solution! - YouTube

That sounds odd as well, but it worked!!

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Really??? Then I suggest you get in touch with The X Lab and let them know and maybe get them to correct their info!!!

Resolving Kernel Panics

General causes of kernel panics
Kernel panics are often caused by one or more of the following issues. ie:

- Incompatible, obsolete, or corrupted kernel extensions.
- Incorrect permissions on System-related files or folders.
etc. etc.

Or do you consider they don't know what they're taking about.

It seems to me from what the OP posted, he can boot normally and then get a kernel panic, and then after the next restart he can get the 3 beeps.

One would think that if the RAM were really bad and didn't pass its test, the three beeps would happen all the time, and especially with doing a cold boot.

Or maybe this guy was incorrect as well, and found the cause to be a dirty logic board!!!
MacBook Problem with 3 beeps (bad ram banks) Fix / Solution! - YouTube

That sounds odd as well, but it worked!!
Kernel panics are NOT the same thing as the 3 beeps. 3 beeps is a hardware issue, 100% of the time. 3 beeps means it's failing the POST, which means the OS isn't even loading.

There's no possible way that kernel extensions or permissions could cause it to happen.

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
Kernel panics are NOT the same thing as the 3 beeps. 3 beeps is a hardware issue, 100% of the time. 3 beeps means it's failing the POST, which means the OS isn't even loading.

There's no possible way that kernel extensions or permissions could cause it to happen.
I agree that the 3 beeps is normally a separate hardware issue and usually RAM related and it's not passing the OS X tests when it happens with a Restart, but I'd suggest that there's something else amiss for the OP and his Mac.

For one, no apparent sign of the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and second, why can the Mac sometimes boot normally without any beeps and then a kernel panic later on?

Loose RAM connections maybe??

·
Premium Member
16,158 Posts
Hi John

My dishwasher doesn't seem to get things as sparkly it used to....do you think if I repair its permissions will I get back to a nice, clean, streak free shine?

Thanks,

Broad.

Gee, and here I was led to believe when you actually posted something without just some personal derogatory remark that you were knowledgable and knew to check the manual for problems, and if that failed to contact the manufacturer, or do a search for your problem on line if they or you couldn't solve it.

I sure hope you get the problem sorted out, but maybe add some water softener agent or use a better dishwashing powder. That should help fix at least a part of your problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.