Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to go paperless with my breakfast ceremonies and read my morning news online. The idea I have is to have a rather large screen on the wall and a mouse on the breakfast table. Then my wife an I can fight over who uses the mouse. :)

Is this doable? My MBP is 8m away. I thought that I could use AirPortExpress for connecting the display/screen. Perhaps the mouse could be connected via some USB wireless devices. I am not sure. iPod Touch can control iTunes could it control websurfing?

If this works, then perhaps I could also get audio...

The Toronto Star costs $650/a

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that would be the easy way. However, there is no practical location for the MBP in the breakfast area. Connecting and disconnecting is not practical. Also I want to keep the computer in my office.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Is this doable?
Not as you've described it.

I thought that I could use AirPortExpress for connecting the display/screen.
Nope.

Sounds like what you want is an LCD panel and a WebTV (do they even still make that thing?).

The only other option I can think of at the moment is to run a DVI cable from the other room to the kitchen. Not what you're after I'm guessing.

The Bluetooth mouse should be able to handle the 24ft./8metres you mentioned, which is why I suggested it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TV is not a must but websurffing is.
Just tested the bluetooth mightymouse: it is 1m short of the needed range.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
As chas has said, you can't use an AirPort Express or Extreme for connecting the display/screen. Your only solution is to either wire your home with DVI and USB, or purchase a secondary computer. A Mac mini would be your most cost effective solution.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is to bad that I can not easily "distribute" the computer capacity I already own.
Thank you for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Is there no way for you to run a cable between the two areas? You can run a DVI-HDMI cable up to 50 feet. Can you go through an attic or basement area?

Use an RF mouse and keyboard and not Bluetooth for long range connection. Way more reliable and longer range.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
If you're mounting the TV on the wall maybe it'd be worth it to have a little rack also mounted on the wall, just below or behind the TV (depends on the method) and use that rack to hold your MBP. Like a wall mounting magazine rack. Solves the BT range issue also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The DVI cables have the big connectors requiring big holes. I found
cables
good for 15m. However, making tidy cable runs would be a challenge.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
You can very tidily tuck a Mini behind a flat screen using a Sonnet: MacCuff mini - Mounting and Security System for Mac mini. Then the mouse or whatever could be pretty much anywhere in the room, and you could VNC into it from the MB (or any other computer). You could even use one of the remote iPhone/Touch apps.

This could be a very tidy install with only the power cable to worry about.
Picture 1.png
An older Mini G4 type would easily be adequate for what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Hey

I like that!

Thanks rgray. My dad will be interested in that. His office has 23 Mac Minis! That cleans up the desk space considerably.

I wonder if there would be a heat issue with the thing facing the back of the monitor?

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
heat goes up the holes at the top of the tv. There shouldn't be any head right behind the TV..

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
You can very tidily tuck a Mini behind a flat screen using a Sonnet: MacCuff mini - Mounting and Security System for Mac mini. Then the mouse or whatever could be pretty much anywhere in the room, and you could VNC into it from the MB (or any other computer). You could even use one of the remote iPhone/Touch apps.

This could be a very tidy install with only the power cable to worry about.

An older Mini G4 type would easily be adequate for what you want to do.
Why not just get an iMac? :confused: This setup is pretty much the equivalent of a crude iMac no?

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Hey

I like that!

Thanks rgray. My dad will be interested in that. His office has 23 Mac Minis! That cleans up the desk space considerably.

I wonder if there would be a heat issue with the thing facing the back of the monitor?
23 mac Minis in his office!?!? Is he running a server farm? :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MacMini is a solid solution. However, it is expensive and is an overkill when I just want to see my MBP in an other room.
Based on what I know now, I find DVI cable with perhaps a signal booster and USB mouse closest to my real needs. = read the morning paper at my breakfast table, other stuff is a bonus

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I'd just get an iMac with a wireless keyboard and mouse. There are wireless ways to push video but they're not cheap and are new so may or may not work as reliably as more mature technology.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The DVI cables have the big connectors requiring big holes. I found
cables
good for 15m. However, making tidy cable runs would be a challenge.
I have HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. The HDMI end is a lot smaller. I ran it through 1" holes. If you have to have DVI on both ends, still get a HDMI cable and use an adapter.

Having re-wired a 50 year old house, when it comes to running cables, where there is a will, there is a way.

Those cables are way cheaper at monoprice.com

1 - 20 of 43 Posts