Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks, Patrick. 2015 MBP, original 1TB SSD. I hardly ever have 10% left.

Have not tried Safe Boot & the old fool doesn't have a bootable clone. As soon as I get some new externals shortly, I'll rectify that one.

Yesterday AM, when the fans were screaming & Mac wouldn't start up. After a hard Restart, all appications were quit so it was the perfect time to run OnyX again.

Last night, I quit Skype, Firefox, Opera overnight. Mac started fine. Maybe it needed two runs of OnyX.

Think I should still try Safe Boot to reset things? And why is hard Restart bad for Mac anyway? Thanks, Patrick.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In some previous replies, posters thought I should Reinstall MacOS from Recovery. There must be pros & cons to that, yes?

Items still slow to show up on Desktop. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Think I should still try Safe Boot to reset things? And why is hard Restart bad for Mac anyway? Thanks, Patrick.
I have never heard or read about a Hard Restart being bad or hard on my Mac.

To force a restart your MacBook, you need to press and hold down the Command (⌘) button, the Control (Ctrl) key, and the power button at the same time.
Hold these keys down until your MacBook's screen goes blank and the computer restarts itself.
nickel with the girls and I'm going to walk and have coffee I'm going to see if I can find that right

Have not tried Safe Boot & the old fool doesn't have a bootable clone. As soon as I get some new externals shortly, I'll rectify that one.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of your external drives doesn't have enough from to be partitioned and use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable partition on, depending on what Mac OS version you are using. You are basically out of luck if you are using Big Sur... Unless things have changed lately...

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am reluctant to 'upgrade' from High Sierra because, if my understanding is correct, it changes everything. I have no need or desire for convergence. I want my files where I put them.

I've got two 5TB & one 4TB arriving shortly. I have planning on partitioning the 4TB and using 2TB for CCC. I really should buy a new SSD; 2TB is about $350 & I hope I'll be keeping this MBP for a very long time.

Good to hear about Hard Restart. Do you think Safe Boot might somehow reset some of my problems such as slow copying files from web? TIA!

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I am reluctant to 'upgrade' from High Sierra because, if my understanding is correct, it changes everything. I have no need or desire for convergence. I want my files where I put them.
You have already upgraded to a Mac OS version than I would have used and it probably already formatted your drive to Apple's new APFS format depending on the drive type that you are using for an internal boot disk. And unless there is some specific reason to gain some new feature, there is probably no real reason you upgrade your Mac OS version any further if you are quite satisfied with what you have.
Note: I am still using MacOS Mavericks 10.9.5 because it works for me and a lot of the apps I use have not had some of their features I rely on removed as often happens with later macOS versions.

What is the total size of the data you have to store??? 4 and 5 TB Drives seemed quite large for the average user, but partitioning and using Carbon Copy Cleaner is an excellent idea.

Don't forget that Apple's new APFS format is designed to be used and works best with solid state drives. I have even read that it will slow down any spinner drives if formatted as such, and are best left using the older Mac OS Extended GUID format.

Doing a Safe Boot will probably not do any harm and may do some good but I doubt if they would do anything to speed up any web stuff, but who knows, doing so definitely will not hurt to try.

BTW: I usually do a Safe Boot at least once a month on my 2011 27in iMac which now has a recently installed 1TB OWC SSD and partitioned into three volumes each with particular old Mac OS versions installed.

Do you think Safe Boot might somehow reset some of my problems such as slow copying files from web?
What speeds are you currently getting using some of the speed test sites and are they much below what you are paying your ISP for???
Are you downloading from decent reputable sites or from some backroom server sites???

Try Speedtest.net etc.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks, Patrick. As I mentioned, I’m a rather avid torrenter, nearly 100TB on externals. Too big to back up, of course, so sometimes I lose one. It’s a hobby. More content than I can ever access in this life! Sites I use are reliable for years.

Seagate 5TB are just $100. As long as one is organised, they’re great. Bear in mind 2.5” spinners are more prone to failure than 3.5”. Have a 5TB Seagate in my Mac Mini (OS 10.12) so my TV series are in one place.

I’m not looking for speed, just that this anomaly has never happened before. If I Save [a webpage in Safari] as PDF; drag an image to Desktop; Export as PDF in TextEdit, it takes minutes to show up on the Desktop. There may be a clue in this behaviour to a fundamental problem I should address. Perhaps Safe Boot will cure this.

Internet: no problems there. Fibre to home 5G: 186 Mbps down, 84 up local; overseas is a bit slower but not much.

Yes, APFS but my HDD externals are MacOS Extended Journaled.

I’ll <write> in my calendar to Safe Boot and run OnyX once a month.

Thank you!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts