Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High Sierra 10.13.6. Few hours, no problem.

Overnight, requires a hard restart every AM.

Happen to anybody else? Ideas?

Thanx!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step-by-step, slowly I turn (Niagara Falls!)

Restart holding Command R, then reinstall the OS.
Yep, that's my next option. I created a clean Test user account and that woke fine this AM.

What I'm trying to avoid, of course, is having to do a clean reinstall. That's just lots of work!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done it all!

That's a bit heavy handed.

I'd reset PRAM and SMC first.
1) Safe boot. Nix.
2) Reset PRAM. Nix.
3) Reset SMC. Nix.

Think I'm down to a Recovery reinstall OS. What I want to avoid is a clean reinstall. If that happens, I'll wipe the 1TB, and start fresh.

But that's a dirty pile of work. And things never end up where you really want them!

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
Yep, that's my next option. I created a clean Test user account and that woke fine this AM.

What I'm trying to avoid, of course, is having to do a clean reinstall. That's just lots of work!
Since the fresh account works fine why not set it up as your main admin account, then delete the current account?

Beyond that I would probably simply shutdown the laptop overnight as daily hard starts are generally a bad idea.

Before doing the entire reinstall I would want to clone to an external and clone back, especially if you are working from the newly minted account. Might clear things up. Obviously it is better to have created the clone before the issue arose, as that way you would know you are starting from a solid OS, versus depending on the cloning process to not carry over a defective file.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, mebbe

Would sure be nice to know what application or setting or file is doing me in, though!

Tonight's plan, quit all open appls. See what happens in AM.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good call!

I actually have OnyX but have rarely used it. Today is a workday so I'll run it overnight.

Meanwhile (back at the ranch), I quit all my open applications (Textedit, Preview, Safari, Transmission, Meteorologist, Meridian) before bed.

Mac woke just fine this AM. Think one or more of those apps might be the culprit?

TIA!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I actually have OnyX but have rarely used it. Today is a workday so I'll run it overnight.
I run OnyX the first of every month or more often if I notice little things that change. Have done for many years and I find it solves issues and keeps my MBP running smoothly.

I have an SSD in both my MBP and Mini, so and it only takes about 90 seconds to run unlike the long run on a regular HD.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take one & call me in the morning

Ran OnyX & restarted. Opened only Transmission, all other appls off.

Woke fine this AM. Tonight's add will be Skype.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About last night...

I have been leaving my customary applications open overnight one-by-one. So far, so good. Either OnyX cured my Mac or this last appl, one of my favourites, will do me in: Meridian, a no-long-supported world time appl. I'd hate to lose it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, SINC, for all your help. Looks like OnyX fixed the problem. Even with all my open software running, wakes fine in the morning. Thank you!

·
Registered
38 Posts

What else you got to do in these times of isolation and social distancing..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts