Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 MacBook Pro Retina exploded.

One afternoon as I was lying on my bed browsing the internet, my MacBook Pro suddenly turned off. I turned it back on and within a few seconds there was weird hissing sound, followed by white smoke and thin flames coming out of from the back.

I got up and ran with the laptop for the bathroom where I could put it on the ceramic tiles. Not more than ten seconds had passed and already the heat from the bottom of the laptop burnt my middle and ring fingers so badly I had to let it drop.

Just in time.

There was a bang as I backed away causing the back to pop and smoke kept pouring out. It kept sizzling for a few minutes and then finally it stopped.​

(Medium)

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Did you read the very last sentence?
If you have a MacBook be careful leaving it unattended on the bed, battery fires burn hot and fast with little time to react.
I always thought leaving the MacBook on a soft, insulating surface like a bed was a BIG NO, NO.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Did you read the very last sentence?

I always thought leaving the MacBook on a soft, insulating surface like a bed was a BIG NO, NO.
It absolutely is, but the thermal regulators should have shut off the computer before this happened.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
It absolutely is, but the thermal regulators should have shut off the computer before this happened.

I guess they got zapped before they could do their job properly, but still not the best design if that was the case.

And I guess this one story will now get blown up and exaggerated and go "viral"… :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts