Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iMac 27" Mid 2011. It is a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7. It has 32GB 1333MHz DDR memory. My current and last update was High Sierra V10.13.6. It will no longer update my OS.
When I boot up it seems forever to complete. After attempting the boot it does not finish. I turn it off. I then reboot. This time the booting is completed an my splash screen appears. After I log in I get a message that there was a problem and it wants to report to Apple. After this everything works fine.
Is this due to the age of my iMac, a sign that my HD is failing or is it the OS?

Felix

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
Is this due to the age of my iMac, a sign that my HD is failing or is it the OS?
I cannot answer your question completely or give you a reason for your problem, but I can say I use the same 2011 vintage model iMac but the 2.7GHz model with 20GB memory, but I run an older mac OS version Mavericks 10.9.5 which boots and runs fine, but its original spinner hard drive died which I have replaced with an OWC solid state drive a month or two ago.

My partitionwd SSD's boot partition currently has 115GB available free space.

How full is your hard drive and have you run Disk Utility first aid recently or done any other Mac maintenance??? Have you tried booting up using safe boot mode, run disk utility verify at least and restart normally???

Regardless of your questions, have you got a current backup for any valuable data on your iMac in case your boot drive is ready to expire???

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an iMac 27" Mid 2011. It is a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7. It has 32GB 1333MHz DDR memory. My current and last update was High Sierra V10.13.6. It will no longer update my OS.
When I boot up it seems forever to complete. After attempting the boot it does not finish. I turn it off. I then reboot. This time the booting is completed an my splash screen appears. After I log in I get a message that there was a problem and it wants to report to Apple. After this everything works fine.

Felix
Was it a clean install or an update? You may have some success with the former. I have the same machine that has been happily purring along on Mavericks as well, but I'm also going to need to update to continue using certain software. I've heard El Capitan is stable on this machine and it will allow me to continue using CS 5, although I'll be running into the same issues soon after I expect. What I'm finding difficult is finding stand alone versions of either OS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was it a clean install or an update? You may have some success with the former. I have the same machine that has been happily purring along on Mavericks as well, but I'm also going to need to update to continue using certain software. I've heard El Capitan is stable on this machine and it will allow me to continue using CS 5, although I'll be running into the same issues soon after I expect. What I'm finding difficult is finding stand alone versions of either OS.
Hi - try this for real OS installs from Apple . I in fact re-installed Sierra just last night . Read instructions of course and you should be fine . Be sure to use Safari ! Best wishes !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi - try this for real OS installs from Apple . I in fact re-installed Sierra just last night . Read instructions of course and you should be fine . Be sure to use Safari ! Best wishes !

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,084 Posts
May I ask which OS version did you end up downloading and did it install and work correctly???

I'm thinking of moving up to El Capitan OS X 10.11 from Mavericks from OS X 10.9 and I assume Apple is still signing it or whatever is required to get it installed and working correctly.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
25 Posts
May I ask which OS version did you end up downloading and did it install and work correctly???

I'm thinking of moving up to El Capitan OS X 10.11 from Mavericks from OS X 10.9 and I assume Apple is still signing it or whatever is required to get it installed and working correctly.

- Patrick
=======
Haven't done it yet. From what I'm reading, El Capitan is about as far as I can go to maintain the use of CS5, although even that gets varying reviews.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts