Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
He's a dude alright! How do you find performance with 48GB of ram?
I was worried at first with the upgrade but it went smoothly and just as he said as I followed the tutorial.

With 32 when I got it it was quick, added the SSD main drive and the extra 16gb ram and saw a speed improvement. I'm hoping the last 16gb will be noticeable but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So got the last 16 and installed it. Turns out the full 64g actually makes it run slower, it tends to drag and hang. Pulled it out, back to 48g and unfortunately it it runs great.

World Font Adaptation Display device Technology

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I still have OSX High Sierra installed on one of my drives and it won't even boot with the 64g installed. It hangs after the progress line goes all the way to the end.I don't understand but I guess I will just leave it alone with 48G.

Computer Netbook Personal computer Output device Blue

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I tried going a little further with these new and old sticks, they are all 667. I tried one riser at a time, two old two new, mixed old and new, just old just new. 4 at a time just top, then bottom. I then tried just pairs bottom and then top, old and new. It wasn't until I tried pairs only in the top front most slots that the power button started blinking. Any pair I tried did not work in the front two upper slots alone with the bottom riser pulled. When I tried all four upper slots using any configuration old and new, they all were used and showed under "about this mac" under memory. Is it the ram? The sticks all work in any configuration old/new in any other position. Is it the riser? All four slots show with any four sticks installed. I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thats the thing, when I install any two of my sticks in the front two slots, the power button blinks. When I install any four of the sticks, it boots and all four are seen. Is that the riser?

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I installed El Capitan on a spare drive, recommended OS for this I'm told, and when it finished I boot it up with all 64g installed and it shows all of them!?! It also doesn't seem peppy but it's not slow either.
I'm going to upgrade it now to Sierra and see what happens.
Sorry Macfury seems I will be able to use all 64g after all even if I stay at El Capitan.

·
Premium Member
31,031 Posts
Turns out the full 64g actually makes it run slower, it tends to drag and hang
48 in 3 slots is triple channel and the correct config. or 48 in 6 slots as well.

Filling all slots drops the machine to dual channel

Your next step is 96 in 6 slots.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
48 in 3 slots is triple channel and the correct config. or 48 in 6 slots as well.

Filling all slots drops the machine to dual channel

Your next step is 96 in 6 slots.
I understood that they ram is supposed to be installed in pairs, so if I install 3 per riser is there a certain way to install them to have them work as triple channel? Thanks MacDoc.

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Ugh.. did it again. My bad.
Helmet Jaw Sports gear Gesture Bone

21 - 33 of 33 Posts