Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been viewing this website on a 19" CRT in 1024 X 768 resolution. How much larger/darker (if at all) might text be at a 1024 X 640 resolution on an Apple 20" LCD display? Merci.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The actual viewing area on your current CRT is likely less than 18". The 20" LCD has an actual viewing area of 20" and the sharpness of the digital signal surpasses almost any CRT substantially. As far as your query regarding "how much darker", I'm not sure why you need a darker image. I can say from experience my 17" LCD is far less stressful on the eyes than my LaCie 19", especially when the LCD is set to it's highest resolution. Although type is smaller at the higher resolution, the sharpness creates a better viewing experience.

edit: Reread your question. The apparent "grey" text you may experience is due to antialiasing, something that is not as "disturbing" on a LCD monitor.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mississauga, thanks for the info. I was questioning about the darkness of the text, not graphics or pictures. My only concern if with the size of text. I utilze an 800 X 600 resolution on the two 19" CRT monitors I have in my home/work office. Being visually impaired, I need to be able to increase the size and boldness of the text.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It should be just fine for you Dr. G and if you happen to use any zoom enhancements, it'll suit you even better.

And, if you use the zoom in Win XP it pixelizes. While in OS X, it doesn't, OS X with its Quartz Extreme redraws it, so unless you are zoomed in onto a space of 4 pixels, it blends together! Making zoomed in views pleasent to look at.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
When I'm back in the office tomorrow morning, I'll play around with the resolutions and report back. Keep in mind OS X offers a very nice "Zoom" feature found in the "Universal Access" pane of your system preferences. I should also mention my mom has impaired vision and finds my LCD easier to view, albeit at a higher resolution than she's accustomed to on her 19" LaCie.

Cheers!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chealion, thanks also for this info. I have never utilized the "zoom effect" on a Mac, only the "stretched" feature on an iMac and the "increase font size" when using Netscape.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mississauga, how might the zoom feature work for you mom? I am not sure if she and I have the same sort of visual impairment, but I am finding that 800 X 600 is the best size text for my vision, and the 20" display does not go down this low, although the 17" display does configure to this size. Since my G5 order will not be filled until Apple decides to ship these systems, I am able to change the monitor purchase order without any problem. Any suggestions re the similarities/differences/strengths and weaknesses between the 17" and 20" displays for the G5?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Dr.G.,

My mom doesn't have need for the Zoom options as, until recently, she's had her 19" LaCie set at 800 X 600. After a reformat and re-install of OS 10.2.6, her screen seems to have "perked up" substantially. Obviously there were some unidentified issues. Now her screen is set at 1024 X 768 and she finds it quite comfortable to view with her "computer" spectacles. I've pointed out the Text Size feature in Safari, which she does use occasionally.

I would suggest the lowest screen resolution of the Apple 20" (1024 X 640) is similar to the 17" resolution of 800 X 600, hence the lack of the latter resolution on the 20".

Don't forget you can set your OS View Options to display fonts at a larger size. From the Finder menu, select View/Show View Options.

Bottom line is you will notice significantly easier viewing on the Apple LCD versus a CRT. In case some would argue this point, I'm not saying the image is better from a colour perspective, but less strain on eyesight.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mississauga, thank you for your prompt reply. I need the larger text size, but never having used OS X (or a Mac since my LCII) I really don't know the features that are available to increase text size. I use this feature on most of the computers I have used in the last few years, since small text is too stressful on my vision. However, from this posting, you seem to feel that there are enough features to allow me to increase the font sizes even in the native resolution of the 20" display. Merci.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts