Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got 2 new FW800 G4's for our studio! Hooray! Their arrival was highly anticipated and overly exciting! Thanks CC!
They arrived last week and have been working great ever since. The users are very happy to have "switched" back to Macs.
But, we've been testing Maya 5.0 on them and have found a dissappointing reality.
The system bus is TOO small. At 167 Mhz, the bottlenecking is much greater than I anticipated. We find rendering test scenes to be slow. Even my G4 Digital Audio renders Maya scenes twice as fast as the new ones. Funny, huh?
That is the only mark against these new beauties; otherwise, everything else is magnificent!
Ciao for now!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maya 4.5 performs admirably with my 867 mhz QS. though it doesnt perform crazey excellent. Possibly look into how its configed if your DigAud is doing ok with it.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Sorry to hear about the performance issue. I really like my Dual 867 but we have a number of dual 2Ghz G5s on the way.

The speed on those is *astonishing* to say the least and they're not running Panther yet.

I have a close friend who reported to me from France who had a first-hand "play" with a pre production model. He was impressed to say the least.

Now we wait until late September for delivery. sigh.,

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I never did understand that design "flaw" in the dualies.. the "pipe" is just too small to handle all the data flowing thru the system...

Too bad.. it could have been better.. but the G5 will kick the G4 into Ancient times..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, those G5s are looking pretty, very pretty.
We thought about ordering a couple of them; but our current development schedule requires machines next week.
We'll be fine, since we won't be doing any major animation rendering until next year. Then, I think I'll consider getting a G5 for myself (at the very least)!
Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts