Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just unpacked it and loading it with 4 gigs of RAM.

Hope the monitor is a bit better. :rolleyes:

Want to do some testing with a FW 800 Tornado array with FCP and also some of the CS Apps so we can give some things to chew on.

I suspect my 16 year old will be putting it through some gaming paces. He got to use the 8Core MacPro with the 1900xt card last week so we'll see how he feels about the 2.8 Extreme.

Happy to answer questions.

note - just set up a 4500 on my G5 QUAD :D and wow what a difference in colour accuracy - barely had to do anything. Of course it's a $1000+ card as well.

First reaction from staff on the 24 is that it was uneven but maybe it has to warm up a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
I just ordered the 20 inch iMac with the 2.4 ghz processor.

Are people being nitpicky about the screen (like they are about the video card), or should I actually worry about it? I am not a pro photographer or video maker, just an average user who will play games now and then.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Bah - glossy screens! You either love 'em or hate 'em and I'm in the latter category. My one and only bad monitor purchase was a 19" Sony LCD with a glossy screen. I relegated it to my lab; direct light is not a problem there and my students don't mind it. Of course these are the students who like working with a PC over a Mac, as the Sony is hooked to the PC in my lab.

I really don't understand Apple on this one. Would it hurt them to give people a choice of matte or glossy?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tend to agree with Dr. Fox on this tho I admit for media the glossy is sweet but day to day and graphics ugh.
First reaction from staff was "uneven".
I will calibrate in a bit see how it comes out against the 20" cheapie.

We are going to try a 2.4 as comparison see if the money is worth it.
Barefeats shows the 2.66 Quad about twice the speed on Cinebench and the 8core almost double again so the performance line up is pretty good.

The 3.0 quad is a joke.

The 2.8 may well be a decent jump for video work tho. If there is much rendering then the premium might be warranted - certainly a decent jump compared to say the 2.16 versus 2.33.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Bah - glossy screens! You either love 'em or hate 'em and I'm in the latter category. My one and only bad monitor purchase was a 19" Sony LCD with a glossy screen. I relegated it to my lab; direct light is not a problem there and my students don't mind it. Of course these are the students who like working with a PC over a Mac, as the Sony is hooked to the PC in my lab.

I really don't understand Apple on this one. Would it hurt them to give people a choice of matte or glossy?
I remember buying a Sony 19" a few years back. I returned it (on the return policy of the store) because of the glossy screen that I could not get to it. Seeing my face in the screen was not really what I hoped for.

Now, I'm even considering buying a mini and choose my own screen. The last upgrade to the mini is not too bad. I'am an iLife user and ocasional gamer, on games like Myst, which are not GPU intensive. Considering I do not play games really often, or that I play web games (Java or flash, which are more CPU hungry than GPU), a mini could do the job. And I will be able to choose the display I like with it.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep MMs with Core2 a re very sweet. The - grab a 215T to go with it now prices have dropped - you'll love it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yep MMs with Core2 a re very sweet. The - grab a 215T to go with it now prices have dropped - you'll love it.
I would opt for a larger screen. In the iMac line up, I'm interested in the 24" display. I thing Samsung has one with good reputation, if I'm not wrong it is the 245B that goes around 500$. No to bad.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was going to suggest this in light of the new glossy TN screens. MM plus a great quality monitor and external stacked hard drive won't be much different than the iMac - but much nicer on the eyes!

Someone needs to hack the mini to allow 4GB! :D

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not possible - 3 gigs is the max.
Better the minin needs to be hacked for a sata port :eek:

Mini + Tornado = incredible.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not possible - 3 gigs is the max.
Better the minin needs to be hacked for a sata port :eek:

Mini + Tornado = incredible.
You are wrong. The mini supports only 2 Gig of memory. No more than that.

As for the 3Gig (last iMac) and 4 Gig of the new iMac, they are related to the chipset limitation.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It'd be nice if the new MM could support it with some sort of BIOS flash! Its mainboard chipset is probably one generation older though... :(

Some sort of hack would be nice.

Just imagine the power of a MM with 4GB, superdrive, and an external hard drive (stacked nicely underneath so it just looks like a bigger mini...)

That and a top-notch monitor.... the only thing holding it back is that integrated video chipset (which is only really an issue with 3D stuff.)

Killer machine in a tiny package. ;)

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 gig motherboard limitation on the MM !!??- that sucks.
Core2s support 4 but in practice only see 3 I thought that would apply to the C2MM as well. :(

Naaaaaasssssssssssttttttttyyyyyyy Apppppppppppllllllllllle

·
Registered
611 Posts
Core2s support 4 but in practice only see 3 I thought that would apply to the C2MM as well. :(
That's what the specs said on Apple web site.

For me, I think a 2 gig system could be cool enough. I run a PowerBook 12" 1.33 with only 768 meg of RAm for now, so, 2 GIG will be a nice upgrade ;)

The main limitation I hate about the mini is the slower portable 2.5" HD at 5400 RPM. And, maybe too, the large capacity the iMac can have. I would have liked to buy the 24" with a 750 gig HD in it.

Sure the mini can be used with an external HD on firewire (let's say, a 500 gig at least) and use the internal slower HD as a TimeMachine backup drive. Not bad either...

The main thing the mini lacks compare to the iMac, is the iSight and built in microphone.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah well you don't believe Apple specs - they have their own marketing reasons some times.
I checked with forums and people have tried it without luck.

The external drive trick is marginal without an eSATA or FW800 connection as the FW 400 saturates. Some swear by it tho.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah well you don't believe Apple specs - they have their own marketing reasons some times.
I checked with forums and people have tried it without luck.
Apple may have marketing reason, but if no-one has done it, makes it difficult too ;)

The external drive trick is marginal without an eSATA or FW800 connection as the FW 400 saturates. Some swear by it tho.
I always heard that FW 400 was faster than the IDE drive external inclosure have. Maybe using a SATA external firewire enclosure will saturate the FW port, but even there I'm not so sure.

Before we see an eSATA or FW800 on the mini, I think we may have to wait a bit... Not even the Mac Pro have the eSATA standard... I would have hoped that Apple would have included an eSATA to the iMac in addition to the FW800.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not yet. Tech on vacation.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Naaaaaasssssssssssttttttttyyyyyyy Apppppppppppllllllllllle
Dont always trust apple specs. It also says a 16GB limit on the macpro but Barefeats got some new 4GB fbdimms and stuffed it with 32GB and it ran fine!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dont always trust apple specs. It also says a 16GB limit on the macpro but Barefeats got some new 4GB fbdimms and stuffed it with 32GB and it ran fine!!
That maybe because when Apple announced the 16GB limit, there were no DIMM size available to get more than that. Apple may revise their specs on next update.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts