Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When was the current model 17" PB released?? I have been thinking seriously about buying one since before Christmas. Trying to decide if I should buy now or wait. Man I hate waiting...

·
Registered
281 Posts
december i think.. when they bumped it up to 1.33ghz. i bought mine in december, at least..
u could check out macrumors.com's buying guide.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The 17" Powerbook was released September 16th at the Apple Expo in Paris, France.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you think so far? I have been reading posts on the Apple discussions about them. Looks like there are some scary issues out there. That is if you believe everything you read.

I would be replacing a 1Ghz iMac. The only thing I think I'll miss is the 4X superdrive, I do a lot of DVD burning.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I've got a 1 GHz (first edition) 17" powerbook. No issues. Best laptop I've ever had. The newer version is faster (1.33 GHz), has a slightly better video card and USB2. Only problem I've had was a crappy spare battery that Apple replaced.

Don't forget that the discussion boards only describe the problems and are not representative.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I would wait a little while longer if you can. The G5 PB will happen soon. How soon is anyone's guess, but I'd hazard to say that they'll need that product on the shelves before September.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My brother-in-law bought the G4 1.33 pwerbook at the beginning of December and it's a very nice mac. Very fast, no hardware issues and I'm very jealeous.
The rumours of a new top of line powerbook are definately buzzing around as usual. The one thing that I would seriously look at is the amount of time that has passed since the last iteration of the line. If you look at the history of the G4 powerbooks over the past couple of years than expect an update within the next couple of months. A friend of mine bought a G3 iBook 3 days before they became G4s. But she didn't mind because the retailers didn't have them in stock for weeks anyways and she could not wait that long. Even if they announce a new G4 line up, who knows how long before the stores have them in stock. The older poweroboks will usually drop in price when the new line is announced, so you may get the older lineup at a sweet price and forgo buying the latest and greatest.
If you are not in a hurry I would definately wait it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it looks like it will be about 6 weeks or so before I can do it anyway so maybe i'll get lucky and the refresh will come in that time.

Thanks for the input all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts