Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17" Lampshade iMac

My neighbor has a 17" lampshade iMac and would like it upgraded. She has the stock 256MB of RAM. Everything I've read says it can only handle 1 gig of RAM (512 in each slot). Is this true? Hard to believe that it won't recognize 1 gig in each slot. Any help is appreciated.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
It depends what speed it is.

The 700 MHz and 800 MHz units use PC133 RAM and are limited to 512 Mb per slot for 1 Gb total.

The 1 GHz and up units use DDR PC2700 RAM and can go to 2 Gb with 2 x 1 Gb modules.

Be advised that the 2 sockets in the machine are NOT the same. The user accessible socket on the bottom of the machine is a SODIMM. The internal socket is a DIMM socket, and is only accessible by disassembling the machine. If you don't have instructions, fresh thermal paste, and experience, I suggest leaving the installation of the internal socket to a technician. Improperly reassembling the machine can cause overheating and permanent damage.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
I just want to second CanadaRAM's caution - the lampshade is near-impossible to reassemble.... at least if you want it in working condition. The thermal paste is particularly challenging, so I'm told.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I believe it is a 800 mhz so I'm guessing that we'll only be adding 512MB. Just to clarify though, do they not make memory modules any bigger than 512 in that size or does the iMac just not recognize more than the 512 in the slot?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Shucks! Don't you love it when you prepare a detailed answer and the ehMac server keels over on you!!! :ptptptptp

Anyway, here we go again...

I assume that your iMac has these specs. This means that you can only upgrade each memory stick (internal and external) to 512MB for a total of 1Gig. Only upgrading the external slot (SO-DIMM) to 512, would give you a total of 640MB which is as good as useless for today's OS and app requirements.

So you don't have much of a choice: do what I did by following this thread. Good luck & let us know how you get on...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My father-in-law has the same iMac (800) and was thinking of upgrading to Tiger. Considering that he has 512 megs of ram installed, I think 640 would be the most he will get without major service. Will 640 be sufficient for Tiger or should he expect a performance hit?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
640 will be sluggish but will work well if you don't open too many applications and widgets. My colleague was running Word + DayLite + another (e.g. Acrobat or Safari) under 512 and had Word crash on her all the time.

Recommendation: purchase the 512 SO-DIMM and install it (takes 1 minute + 1 restart). If it is still slow, take a deep breath and purchase the 512 DIMM and follow the instructions above.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Excellent story and excellent update.

That said, the pristine iMac G4 800 Mhz 17" I just sold ran reasonably well on 256MB, and I'd upgraded to 10.4 and beyond.

It's going to be used in a lab doing basically one thing and looking extremely pretty, so it could be useful as configured for a very long time.

Shucks! Don't you love it when you prepare a detailed answer and the ehMac server keels over on you!!! :ptptptptp

Anyway, here we go again...

I assume that your iMac has these specs. This means that you can only upgrade each memory stick (internal and external) to 512MB for a total of 1Gig. Only upgrading the external slot (SO-DIMM) to 512, would give you a total of 640MB which is as good as useless for today's OS and app requirements.

So you don't have much of a choice: do what I did by following this thread. Good luck & let us know how you get on...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts