Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my 17" iMac 1 GHz this last week. Beautiful machine. Ordered it about 2-3 weeks ago, actually ordered it on the day it was announced on Apple's web page. Got it from Digital Prototypes (www.dpimac.com).

Recommended. Quiet, fast, smooth operation, great screen. 4X Superdrive. For those who don't need the upgradability of a Tower, it's a great machine, and even less expensive than the previous 17" iMac.

Airport Extreme is very good, hard to tell if I am running wireless or on my LAN. Also recommended.

I too have G4 Cubes and love them for their size and lack of noise. Cube lovers will like the iMac for the same reasons, plus aesthetically, they do attract attention from my PC friends, just like the Cube.

If I just wanted a computer, a PC would do. I'm looking for something extra, so only Apple would do.

Bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
Great news about the noise levels Bill, sounds like you are pretty happy with it. I was leaning/thinking towards upgrading to a new G4 tower but I have to tell you after going back to the Cube........"Silence" is a pretty nice feature. I take it with your comments on the AE that you got the base station too as well as the card for the iMac :D :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
PosterBoy if you happen to read this I imagine that LD will be getting them in, any idea when. And how is the cost of LD's extended warranty vs Applecare any idea, or is it even possible to compare. :D :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, sort of a last minute decision to get the Airport Extreme Base Station. I have the original Graphite base stations (2) and they worked well. But the new Extreme is faster and i decided to take the plunge $. DPI was certainly happy. So of course, the Graphite Base Station is for sale. At least the original Airport cards are compatible with the Extreme Base Station.

The iMac has a pretty quiet fan. You can still hear the hard drive during disk intensive work if you put your ear near the vents. So the fan is certainly not as noisy as a Tower. It is quieter than the fan (Panaflo) in my Processor upgraded Cube.

Bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
How is the upgrade in the cube working out BTW and what size. I know I have toiled over upgrading the Cube but it would be so much better IMHO if the bus speeds were faster to compliment the increase of the upgrade. :D :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
billwong wrote:
At least the original Airport cards are compatible with the Extreme Base Station.

I've heard that if you've got an Airport EXTREME! basestation, and a mix of 802.11b (Aiport) and 802.11g (Airport EXTREME!) clients connecting to it, then each machine only has an 11mbps connection. Is this the case?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the cube, I have a 1 GHz upgrade and a dual 800 MHz upgrade. They are obviously an improvement over the stock 450 MHz processor. They run OS X easily, with at least 512 Mb RAM. The pricing on the upgrades has improved, I would go for at least the 1 GHz or splurge on the 1.2 GHz upgrade. I'm waiting for the 1.2 GHz upgrades to take another drop in price. These are great for cubes, allows us to keep our cubes with OS X. A faster bus would be great, but we're stuck with the Cube mobo.

As for mixing Airport clients on an Extreme Base Station, I found the following on an Apple Knowledge Base note (107372).

Mixing clients on an AirPort Extreme network

When you mix 802.11b (AirPort) and 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) clients on an AirPort Extreme network, each type of client receives an appropriate data throughput rate. The 802.11g clients continue to receive data at a higher rate than 802.11b clients.

How much higher, i don't know.

Bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is the 1 Ghz iMac available in Canada yet, I was on the Apple discussions page and they are talking about it there. Yet when I questioned a reseller here about it he claimed that they were not delivering yet. Is this the case of south of the border always getting it first. I am sure this is the model that Dr. G. is getting and after looking at the specs and adding the numbers up it looks kind of attractive. The other feature that I would like about it is the near silence. As I have taken the QS 733 downstairs and am again using my beloved Cube. I had forgotten what it was like to work/surf in virtual silence. :D :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
Billwong wrote that "When you mix 802.11b (AirPort) and 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) clients on an AirPort Extreme network, each type of client receives an appropriate data throughput rate. The 802.11g clients continue to receive data at a higher rate than 802.11b clients." Will a non-Mac 802.11 card still read the signals sent out by an Airport Extreme base station at the lower rate, or not at all? I currently have a Linksys wireless hub and a Linksys card for my Dell laptop. They work quite well. However, if I get my new iMac with an Airport Exteme card built in I have been told that it will read the signals sent out by the Linksys WAP. However, if I also bought an Airport Extreme base station, would the Linksys card in the Dell laptop recognize the signal sent by this Apple product, albeit at a non-extreme speed?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
AirPort Extreme (802.11g) is 54Mbps, whereas AirPort (802.11b) is 11Mbps. When you mix clients on an AirPort Extreme Network, each type of client recieves the correct speed. Any non-Apple 802.11g or 802.11b card should be able to pick up the signals just fine.

jrtech: I have been away from work for a week to facilitate moving to a new house. I am going back today though, so I will update you when I can.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
PosterBoy, once again, thank you for your info. It would seem logical that any WAP card that is compliant with the standards set down for a specific band would work with whatever base station sending out this radio frequency. Still, beter to hear it from a MacMaven than to rely on a person who is not familiar with a Mac.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts