Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll never guess what. I'm a 26 year old architecture/design student with 10 years on pc's....and....yes...you guessed it...I'm switching. My first mac will be the subject I posted...at $4200 for a student
. A month to two month wait. I used to love "tinkering" with my pc to get it to optimal performance...but lately...the tinkering is more like getting the thing to run properly so I can do my work.
I have no idea what I'm really jumping into (although I used a P3 tower at a job for 8 months...but it was running OS 9 and crashed like 10 times a day...I swore off macs back then) but it sounds like for a heavy graphics user like me the new OS X and mac are the way to go? I'd love some feedback on fellow converts and heavy graphics users (photoshop, illustrator, CAD, flash - can you run them all at once?! lol)

Also...I'd like to know (if anyone knows) what the equivalent performace of this new powerbook would be in PC terms?

Thanks a lot...and I hope I'm happy with the switch!

Pamela

p.s. I think I posted in the wrong spot originally so sorry for the double post.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Pamela,

Welcome to ehMac! :D

You have managed to instantly turn most of us green with envy. Don't worry, we won't get snitty or anything... just terribly envious....

Jumping onboard the PB17" bandwagon is a brave thing to do - first revision machines are always unknown quantities. But at that price, Apple is no doubt putting some extra polish on the quality control.

You'll find OS X more than sufficient for what you plan to do, and PhotoShop 7 is just faaabulous. You are looking at a bit of a financial bite, though, switching from a Windoze box to a Macintosh, as you will need to purchase OS X versions of the graphics software you currently use. Some manufacturers will sell you discounted, or "side-upgrades" to products (i.e. if you have version 6 for Windows, you can upgrade to version 7 for Mac).

One question: You said:

although I used a P3 tower at a job for 8 months...but it was running OS 9 and crashed like 10 times a day...I swore off macs back then

You can't run Mac OS on a P3 tower... are you sure it wasn't Windows 95 or something, dressed up to look like Mac OS 9?

Please go forth and make yourself heard in our many forum areas... the gender balance here is downright ...wrong! :D

M.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:

[qb]although I used a P3 tower at a job for 8 months...but it was running OS 9 and crashed like 10 times a day...I swore off macs back then

You can't run Mac OS on a P3 tower... are you sure it wasn't Windows 95 or something, dressed up to look like Mac OS 9?
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think she meant a G3 PowerMac (ie. G3 tower), at least that's what I took it as. P3... G3, honest mistake.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by CubaMark:
although I used a P3 tower at a job for 8 months...but it was running OS 9 and crashed like 10 times a day...I swore off macs back then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think she meant a G3 PowerMac (ie. G3 tower), at least that's what I took it as. P3... G3, honest mistake.

Yup...honest mistake...like I said..I"m a convert...still trying to rid myself of bad habits
null

·
Registered
778 Posts
good, now that you are on a UNIX system, you can send your windows box to /dev/null

:D :D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts