Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question about the screen resolution sizing on the new 17" AlPB. I was able to adjust a screen on a new 17" iMac to 600 X 800 in a "stretched mode". In that this is the same screen on the 17" AlPB, will I be able to utilize this "stretched" resolution size on this PowerBook?

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Yes unless Apple has pulled something funny with the video card - it will also drive your current CRT at 800x600 in a crisper looking "true multisync" at the right proportions.

With X Marc you have alot of control over the screen icons and text size - open GL at work and you might actually be better served by using a "cinema" resolution but upping the text sizes and icons sizes for all the docs and icons.
I d a variation of this for different reasons. I need "clutter space" so my screen real estate is enormous 1792x1344 - that' equal to 5 of your 800x600 screens.
Then I up the views and text sizes so that the docs and applications are workable.
I do this in 9 and X is even better at it.

Try a 1024x900 resolution on the Powerbook then configure the applications, dock and desktop text sizes to your comfort level.
It sounds complicated but it's fairly intuitive.
Email and any X appls will have very good control over presentation size and you can change the default text sizes to meet your needs.

Basically you are keeping some deskspace but upping the size of your documents. Hope this helps.

One of the X mavens here can probably walk you through some shortcuts to get docs to default to what you require.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
237 Posts
There are 2 stretched sizes on the 17" Powerbook. 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768.

There's no 1024 x 900 sizes.

I haven't hooked up my Powerbook to an external monitor, but I do have two monitors on my desktop Macintosh and you can adjust either monitor to whatever resolution the monitor supports and you like.

John

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your info. The 800 X 600 stretched is the resolution that is best for my vision when reading text. I have both a 19" CRT monitor at home and in my office, and thus, I shall have plenty of space if I choose to do other work that might require two screens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts