Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple's 15" Powerbook has been reviewed by Macworld and I was kind of surprised to see what they had to say. The 1.25Ghz is only 13% faster then the 1Ghz, not a whole lot for the difference in price. Also out of 6 15" Powerbooks 3 had to be sent back and all of them had problems with either the white spots, bad hinges, lock ups etc....
Also the 15" Powerbook gets a bad wrap on the battery life.

I have absolutely no idea how Apple even gets close to what they say the battery should be on those 15" Powerbooks, when majority of users are just getting over 2- 2.5 hours max.

I think 3.5 mice from Macworld should be a concern and I will be interested to see what rev b models will have fixed in the future.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I ordered a 1.25GHz PowerBook from my friendly neighbourhood Mac dealer almost a month ago, and it looks like it's going to be at least another two or three weeks before it arrives (this is the second time the ETA has been pushed back). I hope the reason for the delay is that Apple's correcting the issues with the 15" PowerBook.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Funny thing about those 15" PowerBooks...
Everytime I log-in into the Apple discussions forum,
I find yet another posting that I made about the 15"
PowerBooks has been deleted by Apple.
Guess they don't want the consumer to know about all
of the defects. (Re: the white spots)

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Dave, you for real??? whoa... :eek:

H!

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Dave, you for real??? whoa..
Yea...I know...I didn't think that the posts were bad at the
time, I was just echoing the concerns of others and what
Apple was going to do about it.
Unfortunately...Deaf ears just delete posts,
Maybe it's better to hide it than admit that there is a
problem with the white spots.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,

Yeah that's the exact same response I got with a letter from Apple. They say they have no idea what I'm talking about and there seems to be no problems with the new 15" Powerbooks. Kind of hard to believe when you READ the problems all over the internet and NOW Macworld even proves them wrong.

·
peek-a-boo
16,650 Posts
good ol' Apple ;)

I love running OS X, but the hardware blows. I bought 2 macs when I switched from pc, and both have known problems. And funny enough they didn't know what I was talking about, even though scores of people had these problems. Even a certain unnamed retailer pretended to never hear of the problems. I knew they were lying through their teeth.
I know this is just my experience only. I'm hoping for sunnier skies in future.

Mind you my trusty old beige has never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can we hear from some of our own ehMac dealers about this subject? Be nice to know if you are aware of problems and what Apple is doing about them. How do you handle these situations? What is the customers recourse?

Carbon, MacDoc? Others?

Johnny.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just bought a Al 15" PowerBook and within two days the HDD started to crap out. I had decided to put up with the white spot(s), dead pixels, and other annoying fit and finish issues (bowed screen), but the HDD issue needs to be addressed. Applecare politely screwed me around for almost two weeks (I don't really think they know where or what Canada is) until finally they sent me to an "Authorized Service Provider." The service provider told me that they have been inundated with Al 15" PowerBooks (there's an indication of the size of this problem). Having just "switched" from PCs, I'm really questioning my decision to switch platforms. Perhaps I was blinded by the beautiful OS and slick product design, but as the old adage goes: "...never judge a book by its cover..."

The problems associated with the new Al 15" PowerBook is a true sign that the product was not quite ready for production. When one pays between $4-5K for a laptop, one expects near-perfection. Just think what this whole ordeal is going to cost Apple in both warranty repairs and bad press. They could have still introduced the new Al 15" PowerBook at Paris, but delayed the shipping date, thus using the time to fix these engineering and quality control issues. I realize that most of the posts we read about this product are from those who have had bad luck, but I truly think the percentage of defective units far exceeds what we imagine the number to be. Apple should suck it up and recall the defective units...the proper thing to do and a good publicity stunt. I can appreciate the complexity of designing and engineering a PowerBook, but this is not acceptable.

The fact that Macworld had to send back 3 of 6 PowerBooks is shocking...and for those of you in these forums who downplay this 15" PowerBook problem (or think we're a bunch of whiners), hold your thoughts until you first hand experience paying nearly $5K for a laptop that has dead pixels, white screen spots, a cover that barely closes, and a HDD that just crapped out...and see how it feels.

[ October 29, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: kent ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
kent - I'm sorry to hear you recieved a faulty unit.

The working 15" AlBooks are absolutely awesome, I got to use a friend's for a half hour on the weekend, and its an abosolute wonderful experience. But the kicker is Apple seems to be having a LOT of quality issues with this line. You'd think with the extras months of waiting for Motorola to get the G4 chips to Apple, Apple would have done a little more work on avoiding this fiasco. Do they want the same idea that haunted them with the Powerbook 5300 (and variants)?

·
peek-a-boo
16,650 Posts
I understand Kent. I try not to be negative, I really do enjoy working in OS X. I switched from PCs less than a year ago with a dual G4, and an iBook. The dual G4 stil sounds like a tractor, which Apple doesn't believe, and my only recourse it seems is to sell/trade it and lose money. I paid almost 4500 for it. The retailer treated me like an idiot, although one of their techs in the back admitted he had heard a lot of complaints right after his boss swore he never heard anything about it. The iBook I bought from another retailer, who I still like. He at least has listed issues with different models on his website. The logic board went south, and I've read that a lot are having multiple occurances. I wanted to trade up, but the 2200 bucks I shelled out is now only worth maybe 1000 bucks a few months later. I was going to go to the 15 powerbook, but now look. Does Apple make a mac, specifically a portable that works? So I'm a little weary. And I'm nearly broke after buying these. I thought that Apple had the best customer care around. These machines are for work, not play, so it's important. So yea I'm interested in what others, specifically retailers have to say about this. I have on a number of days just thought of dumping these troublesome macs and going back on PC.
I apologize for being negative in the past, I'll get over it. But it's a tough pill to swallow. So this is a short version of this switchers story.

But OS X is great. I'd miss it for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Maybe we're just lucky???

[knocks-on-wood]We have shipped quite a few of the 15's and haven't had one back yet[/knocks-on-wood]

I have one personally and haven't had much to complain about. I have one tiny little white spot the size of a pin head. It isn't visable at all unless I have an all white background. I'm a little peaved but I know it will get fixed. I'm waiting till Apple tells us what the proceedure is to fix them before I do anything. Since we haven't had any back, we haven't pushed the issue with Apple. I am sure they would deny there was any problems anyway :)

Sorry to hear everyone got crap units but there is hope for anyone looking to buy one. They aren't all bad.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the Al 15" PowerBook is a sweeeeeet machine, powerful, light and extremely sexy....and OSX is a beautiful, stable OS, but it's tough to look past the harmless but incredibly annoying problems that exist on this new machine (given its price tag). Another thing that also erks me is that having spoken to Applecare on several occasions during the past week they deny that there is a problem: "oh that's the first we've heard of white spots and latch/screen engineering issues" - give me a break.

This was a move (from PC to Apple) I had been contemplating for years and finally decided to make...it's been nothing short of a nightmare and currently a regret (as I type on my trusty DELL workstation). I was really looking forward to this transition. Having already paid for the machine, it's spent more time in the shop then in my hands. Edsel comes to mind......

Sorry for the negativity, but as a Grad Student, that kind of cash is hard to come by and I'm beyond annoyed with my Apple experience!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts